A question about Ozone 8.

Hello everyone :)

I'm demoing the trial version of Ozone 8, and I have a question.

I now always mix my Project with no plugins on the Output Channel (my goal is to use as few plugins as I can, and to work on getting the song to sound right without them), and I have the level adjusted so that the volume level is at 0.0, and the led's display never goes red (the peak level display on my current Project reads -3.8 if that's important in this discussion).

But when I engage Ozone (or if I don't engage it and use Adaptive Limiter instead) the peak level goes into the red).

Should I worry about this, or should I go back to the volume slider and pull it down so that the level never goes into the red?

Thanks,

Jerry

Update :)

I'm also demoing, and have them on the Master channel strip in the following order:

1) Waves Puigchild (set to Lavyne Vintage Mastering Glue).

2) Waves J37 (set to Fat Tight & Open).

3) Waves Kramer Tape (set to Mastering Big and Open).

And I'm inserting last in the chain Adaptive Limiter, adjusted JUST RIGHT :)

For some reason it sounds just as good with the Waves plugins as with Ozone 8, but perhaps I don't know enough about Ozone (i'm trying the Signature Preset High Detail) to use it properly.

Also, I might prefer the J37 to the Kramer.

The closer you are to 0dB on your mix, the less room you have left for Ozone and company.

Also, try not to rely too much on presets, especially in Ozone.

Start adding things with an empty slate and see what each one does. Put the Maximizer at the end.

And on the final output in Ozone, put it at least at -0.3 or even -0.5 if your RMS is -10 or -9, which is pretty hot.

But when I engage Ozone (or if I don't engage it and use Adaptive Limiter instead) the peak level goes into the red).

Is 'Gain Match' in Ozone activated? If yes, Ozone will match the volumes between dry (unmastered) and wet (mastered) version. Usually the unmastered version gets boosted way over 0dbFS. The volume will be only matched (usually boosted) when Ozone is internally bypassed, not bypassed by Logic. I guess if you surfing thru the presets, this feature is activated.

But if it is not activated, and there is a limiter in Ozone, as very last instance in the master channel strip, it should not go over 0dBFS.

No offense meant: It's literally impossible to make Ozone alone sound the same as Puigchild, J37, Kramer and Adaptive Limiter. If you cannot hear a difference between your channel strip (Waves plus Adaptive Limiter) and Ozone, don't spend the money on Ozone. It'd be just a waste. Or I misunderstood your setup and what you were doing :)

Should I worry about this, or should I go back to the volume slider and pull it down so that the level never goes into the red?

Yes, you should worry about this. What you should do is open your Mixer, make sure you can see both your Output channel strip and your Master channel strip, and make sure both faders are set to 0 dB.

logic-002.png.a66b2466111c9b157f86aad023795a85.png

Yes, you should worry about this. What you should do is open your Mixer, make sure you can see both your Output channel strip and your Master channel strip, and make sure both faders are set to 0 dB.

logic-002.png

Hello David!!!!

On this particular Project, the Master is set at -3.3, and the Output is set at -1.3.

The peak level display say -0.4, but the led's are still going into the red.

Is 'Gain Match' in Ozone activated? If yes, Ozone will match the volumes between dry (unmastered) and wet (mastered) version. Usually the unmastered version gets boosted way over 0dbFS. The volume will be only matched (usually boosted) when Ozone is internally bypassed, not bypassed by Logic. I guess if you surfing thru the presets, this feature is activated.

But if it is not activated, and there is a limiter in Ozone, as very last instance in the master channel strip, it should not go over 0dBFS.

No offense meant: It's literally impossible to make Ozone alone sound the same as Puigchild, J37, Kramer and Adaptive Limiter. If you cannot hear a difference between your channel strip (Waves plus Adaptive Limiter) and Ozone, don't spend the money on Ozone. It'd be just a waste. Or I misunderstood your setup and what you were doing :)

No offense taken, you're just trying to help me :)

1) No, Gain Match is not activated (it's not colored light blue), so I'll try that.

2) Of course I can hear a difference between the custom channel strip plugins and Ozone, but that's not a bad thing, it's just that they both sound equally good, and they just sound different.

On this particular Project, the Master is set at -3.3, and the Output is set at -1.3.

Start by setting both to 0. Use the Adaptive Limiter as the last plug-in on the Output. What do you experience?

When I do that, the peak level display reads -0.3, but the led still shows red.

As far as the Adaptive Limiter, the settings are as follows:

1) Input scale: +1.2 db.

2) Gain: 5.1 db.

3) Output: -0.3 db.

This means your mix is pretty loud and you're getting digital overs. Maybe you should compress or limit on individual channels before it hits the stereo out.

Hi triplets, how are you doing, long time no talk to :)

I just looked at the individual tracks, and the hottest one is the drum track, and it only peaks at -11.

The chain I have, in specific order is Puigchild>J37>Adaptive Limiter.

I started with the Puigchild disabled first, and when I did that the peak level was -0.3, the volume was noticeably lower, and the led's were still in the red.

With the Puigchild still disabled, I then disabled the J37, and the peak level was still at -0.3, the volume was still almost exactly the same, and the led's were going into the red just every now and then.

With the Puigchild and J37 disabled, when I disabled the Adaptive Limiter, the peak level dropped to -4.2, the volume was noticeably lower, and the led's never went into the red.

I next only enabled Ozone, and the peak level was 4.1, and the led's were constantly in the red.

Finally, I used Ozone's Master Assistant, and when cycling through the modules it mentioned that it was bypassing Dynamics, as no extreme dynamic range was detected.

Regardless, when I accepted to use its choice, the level meter was -2.1, and ut was barely going into the red.

As far as the Adaptive Limiter, the settings are as follows:

1) Input scale: +1.2 db.

2) Gain: 5.1 db.

3) Output: -0.3 db.

Well then that's the expected behavior, you're setting your Output to - 0.3 dB FS in the limiter and you're seeing -0.3 dB FS on the peak level meter.

I'm using Sierra here and it's fine but it depends on your system, plug-ins used etc.. so the general adage of "if it ain't broken don't fix it" applies! :D

Back to the loudness meter..............

I have no loudness meter, only a level meter.

Not sure what you mean by that... just insert a loudness meter so that you can have a LUFS reading?

logic-001.png.c059a0702d7114e1d4159c8cfa56bb57.png

Just going to throw this in to help, if I can. Personally I try to hit the master bus at around -12 to -16db before I ever start putting things on the master bus. I suggest turning all your individual mix channels down, or if you’re doing aux buses on groups as most of us do, watch where you go with those too. Overall it’s about balance before the master bus. Once you start adding the ‘final’ touches you’re aiming for desired loudness and and dynamic range for the music style.

Digital clipping is very unforgiving:)

Just my .02 for what it’s worth.

Hi Makzimia :)

That's great advise!

Are you saying I need to have the Master and the Output Sliders set at 0.0, and then adjust all my individual tracks and try to hit the master bus at levels around -12 to -16db?

More specifically, once I get my Mix where I think it should be, highlight all the faders and adjust them all up or down and try to get the Master level as close as possible to -12 to -16db?

Much better than .02 worth of advise!

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

My advice is related to pre master bus levels :). Yes, leave the master bus level faders at unity or zero if you like. Depending on the style of music you are doing, you'll want differing dynamic ranges. There is a lot involved. Where a tool like Ozone 8 comes in is as a starting point then. Via it's built in modules it'll estimate final levels etc. A master bus implemented doesn't mean you've mastered your song usually, even if that is where some of us go!. It's about getting a level that is commercially viable, Ozone 8 most definitely will do that. Just watch all your send levels to the master bus, let Ozone 8 do it's job, or whatever custom chain you want.

If you have Ozone 8 advanced, as I do, it's a very powerful tool. But, remember, it is just a starting point usually, and can be tweaked to taste. I suggest looking at some Youtube videos on how it works. Start with Izotopes own videos, then there are a number of well known professionals who use it and have made videos on it too.

Mastering itself is a lot more than just what level is at the bus :).

Cheers,

Tony

Tony,

I can't decide between Ozone 8 Standard or Advanced.

I'm dealing with Sweetwater, and their advise is to get the Standard Version, as for my needs, especially as a "beginner" at Mastering, the Advanced version will do things beyond what I need at this point

Their recommendation is based upon that I'm a Songwriter/Musician/Engineer for my original Songs, and all I want to do is make a MP3 Demo's bounced from already good Mixes, and I "simply" want to take the Mix/Demo to the next level without my having to take all the years it will take to learn how to Master properly :)

As an aside, I am also thinking about the Lurssen Mastering Console as well, but it's only $50.00 less than Ozone 8 Standard.