akai midimix? anyone?...

have been invited to do a live show in february (something i haven't done in millenia). am thinking live mixing, vs playing a keyboard; i already have a portable setup (xkey25, macbook pro, apogee groove), but... wondering about the portable mix controllers out there, ie the novation launch control XL, the behringer x touch compact... etc.

any suggestions? would do some levels, mutes, turning on fx, tracks... i dunno (never did a live thing like this before).

this is my community, so thought i'd ask here: what do you use, or what would you use?

Edited by fisherking

My worry with the midimix is that its faders are not motorized. That means that if you ever do something like adjust a level, change fader bank, adjust another level, come back to the original fader bank, readjust original level with the same fader, you may get a big jump in level.

A Behringer X-Touch would at least have the motorized faders... but of course it's a bit pricier.

Something to ponder.

My worry with the midimix is that its faders are not motorized. That means that if you ever do something like adjust a level, change fader bank, adjust another level, come back to the original fader bank, readjust original level with the same fader, you may get a big jump in level.

A Behringer X-Touch would at least have the motorized faders... but of course it's a bit pricier.

Something to ponder.

thanks, good point. i think the 'send all' button might help with this, but... my guess is, i'll do 2 songs with mutes, soloes, sends, and one song live levels... with everything grouped into 8 tracks, so... no switching.

will figure it out...

Yup, depending on how you use it exactly, it could work just fine. Let us know how it works for you! Should be a fun experiment anyway.

definitely. totally unlike anything i've done (last time i did a live performance, theatres had gas lamps, and the 'synthesizer' was a pump organ). this won't be until february or so, but want to figure it all out well in advance.

• 3 years later...
I use the midimix. Not live, just in the studio. It would be better to have motorised faders but you don’t get the jump David mentioned, the level only changes when you move the fader. Big downside is the lights on the mute and solo buttons don’t work with Logic, the buttons work ok but they don’t light up. In the studio it’s ok but it’s not always clear which faders are assigned to which tracks so this would make it difficult to use live.

Hello

How was your gig eventually? Did you buy and use the Akai Midimix?

F

damn! you're making me try to remember something from four years ago... :mrgreen:

the whole thing got cancelled, and i never bought the mixer. i've since had an akai mpd218 (which i lent to a friend, and never saw again :roll: ), and currently have the simple akai LPD8, which more-than suits my needs (for recording).