How do you make a 'Tick Track?'

I'd like to know more about this as it may have validity in music production I've not been aware of: One of the questions on the 'Jeopardy' show tonight was asked about 'a recording help that is like a metronome to help keep the recording session on tempo...' - the answer they said is 'what is a 'tick track.'' Something I am not familiar with but it may have advantages over just using the metronome click because it can be saved as a permanent fixture in the production of a song. I'm sure this is to keep everyone 'in line' when effects or loops might be brought in later. Does anyone have any comment or experience on this? My question is how do you make the track that can then be muted after recording happens...? and would you just record the metronome tick without any other input to make one track that is the 'tick track?'

Thanks Eric, ‘conform to tempo changes automatically’ would you elaborate on that a little more please? Most songs I record keep the same tempo from start to finish, but are you saying, like in classical music where there are various tempos, that I can signify where tempo change happens and at that point, Logic Pro will adjust accordingly? If this is possible, I would certainly want to learn more.