Final thoughts on proper use of Ozone/Mastering

Guys,

Thanks for all your input on my other Thread about using Ozone or separate plugins on the Main Out.

I was just advised, and please tell me if you disagree, that the proper way to use Ozone, or "X", is to bounce your finished Project as a WAVE or an AIFF file, import that file into a new Project, and then Master the stereo track.

The way I was demoing Ozone was by disabling the plugins I had used on the Main Out to arrive at what I though was a great MIx, and then simply listening to Ozone alone.

What I don't want to do is go back to EVERY Project that I was happy with (none of them clipping, btw), go change the individual track volumes by bringing all of them down/up simultaneously, raising or lowering the Master or Main, etc.

The ONLY reason I wanted to go to a Ozone/separate mastering plugin components in the first place was to put that finishing touch on a well recorded Song.

Your truly appreciated thoughts please :)

Thank you,

Jerry

I was just advised, and please tell me if you disagree, that the proper way to use Ozone, or "X", is to bounce your finished Project as a WAVE or an AIFF file, import that file into a new Project, and then Master the stereo track.

Yes, that's how I do it as well. Bounce the good mix to a stereo file, and master that one in a new separate session.

What I don't want to do is go back to EVERY Project that I was happy with (none of them clipping, btw), go change the individual track volumes by bringing all of them down/up simultaneously, raising or lowering the Master or Main, etc.

I don't understand why you should go back to EVERY project? Didn't you bounce the mix to a stereo file anyway? Why change individual track volumes?

If the master file (bounced mixdown) is very hot, just lower the volume with the Gain plugin as first instance in the chain. If the master is low, just raise it with the Gain plugin. Only if the peak is below -20dBFS I'd go back to the session and bounce a new louder version. Just add the Gain plugin to the master in the mix session. Was that the question?

The ONLY reason I wanted to go to a Ozone/separate mastering plugin components in the first place was to put that finishing touch on a well recorded Song.

I do something similar as well, but I just slap the Fabfilter Pro-L (now Pro-L2) on the master. It's bypassed most of the time, just when I bounce a demo for listening back on the phone, in the car, etc. I activate it and make quick and dirty mastering :D But I don't go over 2-3 dB of gain reduction.

I don't understand why you should go back to EVERY project? Didn't you bounce the mix to a stereo file anyway? Why change individual track volumes?

If the master file (bounced mixdown) is very hot, just lower the volume with the Gain plugin as first instance in the chain. If the master is low, just raise it with the Gain plugin. Only if the peak is below -20dBFS I'd go back to the session and bounce a new louder version. Just add the Gain plugin to the master in the mix session. Was that the question

I do something similar as well, but I just slap the Fabfilter Pro-L (now Pro-L2) on the master. It's bypassed most of the time, just when I bounce a demo for listening back on the phone, in the car, etc. I activate it and make quick and dirty mastering :D But I don't go over 2-3 dB of gain reduction.

Hi stardustmedia :)

Yes, the bounced mixdown was too hot, and it wasn't Mastered at all.

But GREAT suggestion about the gain plugin!

What is your exact chain when you Master?

Also, I'm thinking about the Fabfilter Pro-L2 as well, but Ozone is having a special now where I can purchase Ozone 8 for the exact same price as the Pro-L2 ($199.00).

So given the same price, which would you go with?

Thanks!

Jerry

If you already have a lot of other mastering grade plugins for EQ, compression, tape, etc. and only need the final limiter, probably FF is enough. If you don't have those plugins, Ozone is very good start, because it contains everything. Ozone has some great presets to start with for learning purposes. Modules can be easily moved, comparison feature now, etc. So I'd recommend Ozone for you.

My default chain is: Millennia EQ, Satin, Pro-Q2, Ozone. The order may change, but Ozone stays at the end, because I use its limiter. Sometimes I also use on of Ozone's modules.

Mayb Pro-L2 will be the new limiter for me. But I need time to check this out. Never change a winning team :D

Disclaimer: I'm not a full pro seasoned mastering engineer. I do simple masterings, mainly for demoing purposes. Best would be, if you take your time and test closely the alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!

I just had some good luck (rare for me :) )

My guitar player (the one with our second studio, with about $30,000.00 worth of Guitars and Amps, with the Axe FX II) said since it's mainly his guitar tracks I have to work especially hard and long on to make them sound good, kindly paid for me to have Ozone 8 Advanced :)

Here's the part I can't understand.

My Main Out peaks no higher than -6 dB before using Ozone, and then, no matter what preset I use, no matter if I use Master Assistant, the Main Out goes way into the red when Ozone is enabled.

David and other Forum Members said Ozone uses a Limiter to keep this from happening, but when I looked at the various Modules in each preset, many did use a Limiter, but rarely was it the last Module in the chain, and many presets didn't use a Limiter in their chain at all.

So..........................................

Is going into the red acceptable/normal with Ozone, and if not, what should I do to keep the signal from going into the red?

There are so many different possibilities, why Ozone may go into red. The easiest thing to do: Lower the output of Ozone. Or change the order of the modules by setting the limiter at the end. Or lower the input. Depending on the settings of each module, -6dBFS might be too hot anyway.

Presets are not necessarily the way YOU want it. Maybe a good starting point. And some presets are not even meant for "mastering". And even if the are labelled with "Master", not in all cases mastering engineers will add a limiter. It's a versatile tool, that can be used in many different ways.

Definitely time to RTFM :D