Mastered wav file appears clipped in Sample Editor

Hi,

I've bounced down a stereo mix of my track from Logic as an interleaved wav file with no normalization or dithering. There was no peaking at any of the buses, at the final stereo output or at the master. I've then imported that bounced stereo wav into a new "master" project and used Logic's pre-set mastering settings (Final Ballad Master, etc) to give it a finished sound (just experimenting at this stage). Again, there is no peaking at the stereo output. I've then bounced that down as a stereo interleaved wav ready to send out to all the industry people who are just sitting at their laptops waiting to hear my work (note sarcasm).

When I then import the final finished wav into a new Logic project (just to check it), it sounds fine but the audio file appears clipped in the Sample Editor. Am I doing something wrong here? Am I being a complete numbskull or have I missed a key element of the process? Please help, my brain hurts...

Does the Logic preset compress and limit? It's possible to get clipping - even when meters indicate you're below 0dB. I had a pro do mastering and for 2444 we stayed at -1.3 dB true peak for anything intended for sites which would convert to MP3 and -0.3 dB for CD (1644), for example. This pro knows his business. Can't be sure of your situation but meters are to fast enough to register stuff that goes by at 44.1 (or 88.2, etc.) per second.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yes the presets both compress and limit. I tried bringing the limiter down to +3db and that seemed to work but then my worry is it will be too quiet. I'll try what you say and stick to -1.3/-0.3 respectively. I'm hoping to license to TV/film, etc. Many thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wonder, what you mean by "the audio file appears clipped in the Sample Editor"?

I don't believe that the wave graphics will indicate intersample peaks, and since you added a limiter, it might automatically "look" clipped. That's kinda the idea of the brickwall limiter at the end. Except you set the threshold very low, so it rarely limits.

Can you add a screenshot?

• 3 months later...