Potential risks of updating OS

Hi

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

I'm sure most of you have heard the news today about the "Spectre" and "Meltdown" bugs. Apparently the OSX 10.13.2 update safeguards against the bugs. However, I'm always wary of updating the operating system due to the risk of it causing havoc with my music production stuff (plugins not working, software behaving strangely, files disappearing etc). All of my plugins are legit and paid for except for the waves ones that I was given by a friend back around 2011. I assume the ones I've paid for should be ok in any new operating system but I fear the waves ones may not work any longer with 10.13.2. Here are a list of the plugins I use -

UVI Workstation

Kontakt

Xfer Serum

Waves Bundle

Kush Audio Omega 458A

Melodyne

Slate Digital Everything Bundle

Fab Filter Pro Q 2 and Pro L 2

Fielding Reviver

Sonnox Inflator

Sonnox Limiter

Soundtoys bundle

Valhalla Plate

Valhalla Room

Xfer OTT

Regarding plugin compatibility or regarding any other potential issue with the music production workflow, do you think there is any danger in updating to 10.13.2? I'm on 10.10.5 now.

Thanks

Only one flaw has been patched i believe? - and as yet there's nothing out there which will do harm relating to either flaws, i believe?

But now this information is in the public it may be incoming sooner than later. Whatever OS you're running, it looks like being over-zealous on ad-blockers and pop-up blockers is the most sensible precaution to be making as the goal will be to somehow utilise this flaw over the internet via scripting (Javascript etc) languages which run in the browser.

Personally, i wouldn't update so quickly IF you may get problems, not until the full extent of these flaws are known for MacOS users and patches are in place, particularly if your system is running smoothly right now.

I've got an old Mac Pro which is stuck with El Capitan, so hopefully that OS gets patched once the knowledge has matured.. If it doesn't then i'm just going to make sure that any internet usage on that machine is protected as much as possible.

However, looking at your list above, and your specs, i'd say you would be fine to update, but if you're not running legit Waves then you will probably have to say goodbye to that, on the plus you can pick up the gold bundle pretty cheap - depends what you have now of course, as the gold bundle really doesn't offer a great deal more than Logic in my opinion.