Avid Pro Tools S3 and Logic Pro X

Recently I bought a used Avid Pro Tools S3 for usage as an audio interface and controller for Logic. There is not a lot to be found on the internet about this combination, so I thought it could be helpful for other if I shared my experiences here.

The S3 is a 16 fader control surface, with 32 rotary controllers each with an OLED display, and a lot of buttons. It's also an AVB 4 in 6 out audio interface. I had to sell my Apogee Quartet to be able to buy the unit so I now use the internal interface.

There is a learning curve involved in getting to use the unit properly with Logic, although a lot of functions work out of the box.

The main section, faders and the first level of 16 encoders work out of the box and control volume and pan of the channels. The function of the encoders can be changed to different parameters of the channels (pan, insert, send, etc.) this is done by soft keys on the left side of the surface. Banking and nudging of the faders is done on the right side. Apart from some OLED update quirks this all works flawlessly. The display quirks happen on all OLED's once in a while, but only when connected via a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter (the unit connects with a network cable). On my 2011 MBP the unit is connected to the ethernet port and there the displays function better. Could by also my macbook. There is a main shift button on the surface, and pressing that updates the displays after which they show the correct indication. The quirks are lines and dots missing from the view.

On the right side are 8 buttons that are mapped to automation mode by default (Avid supplies an XML file for Logic, where these mappings are programmed). So you can quickly put a selected channel into Latch, Touch, Write or Read with these buttons. I use them a lot. You can also cycle automation mode of the channel by pressing Shift and the Rec button of the channel. Use that less.

The top level of encoders shows functions for the selected channel. Input, EQ, Dynamics, Inserts, Sends, Outputs. These all work, except for 'Dynamics'. I don't think it's implemented correctly in EUCON. The rest does what you would expect. pressing EQ opens the channel EQ, if none inserted on the selected channel you can insert it from there. Sends shows sends, if no sends set you can press 'configure' and configure your sends. Inserts shows your plug-ins and you can edit alle parameters of the plugin from the encoders after selecting that plugin. Nice thing is that it also opens the plugin on your screen, and closes that if you back out of the editing mode. So from the insert mode you CAN edit the compressor settings if inserted, even thought the 'Dynamics' button does not take you to the compressor. All functions follow selected channel, so if you are editing sends, selecting another channel shows sends of that channel.

Having said this: you can do the exact same things on the lower level of encoders, and they behave somewhat alike. I wondered why at first, but there is one reason why I use this: you can flip the control of the parameter from the rotary control to your fader. I tend to use a gain plugin for writing volume automation, and this is where this function comes in handy, you can write automation as if you are controlling the channel fader.

The audio interface can be controlled from the unit, too. There is the possibility to direct monitor inputs, you can easily switch outputs, I have been making some recordings, and it all works fine. There is one issue, the buffer size can be set at 128 at the minimum. At 64 I only get static. A lot of feedback from the user group as some think that the resulting latency is too high for proper recordings. I have been using 128 with my Quartet too, and 256 or 512 when mixing so for me it suffices.

Ok, so far for my first post about this unit, I must say that I am impressed by the unit, it speeds up my workflow in a lot of cases. I still have to learn my way around all the functions and buttons but I guess that's the case with all new gear. Will keep you posted.

I found the solution for the zoom buttons problem. apparently Logic 10.4 made some changes in EUCON implementation. The EUCON commands are organised in categories. The Zoom commands were located in one of these categories but have been moved to the category 'Views using the time ruler'. don't know if that existed before. My thinking was that if the key command hasn't changed the mapping should remain, but obviously EUCON interacts differently from the key commands. Anyway. It works now, and I have learned something new. Good day.... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
So after finishing a few projects I sold the S3 for about the same price I bought it for. I really liked the faders and the assignable buttons, but I did not really use enough of the functionality to justify the amount of money parked on my desk. Also the lack of transport control bothered me. So I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (that has a lower latency than the S3) and invested the rest of the money in new surf gear :-))