Condenser mic coming in at very low levels

Okay so I recently bought a MXL 990 and a Art Tube MP preamp, both used. No more than 6 months old each and the guy I bought them from showed me they worked fine. So then I bought a brand new Leixcon Alpha interface (I know it's not the best, but I'm new and didn't want to spend a fortune right away). So I've got my mic plugged into the input of the preamp using a XLR cable. Then I've got it the output of the preamp (TSR) running into the line input of the interface (TSR) and the interface into my Macbook (USB). In Logic, it shows that it is picking up sound but it's so low I can't hear anything. No matter how much I turn up the gain. I've messed with the knobs in all different ways. I've got phantom power on and can hear everything fine from the output of my interface with headphones, but the actual recording doesn't pick up anything. I'm starting to think now it's just the mic. Any advice?

i don't know that specific mike, but check that it does not have a minus 20db pad switch on it. a pad switch is pretty common on condensers. also polarity of 48 volt phantom power could be reversed if the canon mike cable is faulty. try another canon lead and see if that helps.

if your hearing the mike fine, but recording level is low, then davids suggestion is most likely.

if your not hearing the mike and not recording, then check my suggestions.

hope this helps. Buddha