Recording/Videoing bass to track for You Tube

Hi

So what I want to do is video myself playing bass along to a pre-recorded track to post on You Tube.

For example....Lets say I want to play my bass over George Benson's 'Nature Boy'.

I've put Nature Boy into Logic Pro X, adjusted the EQ to strip the bass right out...Plug my bass into Logic on my iMac (via a Focusrite scarlett audio interface) run it though a nice bass amp (with compression/EQ etc)

So, I can record along to the George Benson track, adjust the volume/tone of my bass line so I'm happy. Of course I can extract the audio but I want to video myself recording – in time – to upload to YouTube.

I want the audio/video to be perfectly in time but to audio (George Benson song with my bass over) from the Logic track.

I know I can video myself via Quicktime and use the iMac cam....or I could video using iPad, put the video into iMovie, and then put the audio file from the Logic under it, but when I do this they never align perfectly and it's impossible to sync them from the beginning...

Ideally it would be record the vid live in Logic through the webcam but this doesn't seem possible...

Any ideas?

Any help - Thanks in advance!

Steve

(Gear: Fender Precision > going into Focusrite scarlett audio interface > iMac running Logic Pro X...)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve, I'm a complete newbie to the video world and I've been trying to get to grips with this too and so far the best I've come up with is to sync my guitar up to Logic to record the audio part I want to play on the video while standing in front of my iphone to record the video. As you say syncing the audio and video parts together is the biggest issue and I've found that the best way (so far) is to find the matching peaks on both audio and video tracks and get them as close together as possible manually. It's not perfect but it works reasonably well and you can see the results on my yuotube channel here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcKFzYcjpntlmURPipH01Ew?view_as=subscriber

I think there is probably some way to do it and get the two things in sync using the midi time clock but I haven't figured that out so far...It's a learning curve.

Soundwise I don't know how your idea would work out if you're planning on playing over a track which already has an existing bassline in it unless you can somehow get the level of the original right down below the noise floor so that it doesn't come through in your recording. I don't know how you would do that....