Cheap digital drum solution maintaining a realistic playability?

Hi!

I’m getting a drummer for my band which is a very synthoriented group. Therefore this drummer will mainly be playing digital drums. I’m no drummer myself but will be paying for the solution. I’ve been looking at everything from Alesis pads (Percpad and Samplepad) to Roland’s realistic solutions. What I’m looking for is a cheap solution (with MIDI in/out or USB) for a couple of drums/pads without compromising realistic playability too much. I want my drummer to feel good playing live sets on this thing.

Edit:

Also, I’m not interested in investing in the actual synth interface that comes along with the drums, except for the MIDI/USB connection. I’ll be focusing on my own samples.

Thanks!

Kindly,

Joachim

Edited by joachim_s

What kind of budget are you looking at? And is USB enough, or do you need actual MIDI ports?

In terms of cheap realistic kits you can pick-up the Roland TD-1K cheap secondhand, they're light - easy to transport and can be upgraded to a full snare/with rim and offer dual zones on cymbals and grab/mutes - all can be used to trigger additional sounds, however limited to USB Midi - so to extend the sounds you're looking at additional hardware/computer, plus some of the controls it sounds out are via polyphonic aftertouch (Such as the cymbal mutes).

The TD-1K is the 'lowest' i'd go, maybe Yamaha DTX too but stay away from things like the Alesis DM Lite - they are shockingly bad, most kits around those levels and lower are pretty poor - particularly when playing live as you get false triggers and can lock up.

As for the pad format, you'd have to find a drummer who's comfortable playing on such things, or you'll be bringing in someone who's skilled and not utilising their talents and we all know what drummers are like when emotional. :)

The nord pads are really good, but expensive!

Samplepad Pro is good, you can add additional pads and a kick drum to those too if you want someone playing hats/equivalent and kickdrum+snare simultaneously. You can't do that easily with hands alone, so you need a foot control if looking at pads like those - particularly if you want 16ths played on the hats.

I've played on one numerous times and they're ok, i like that it's self contained with samples/sets onboard, but the one i've used is in conjunction with a full kit for sub bass and sfx - not standalone, so don't know what it's like firsthand as a solo kit.

What kind of budget are you looking at? And is USB enough, or do you need actual MIDI ports?

Actually I’m just looking for a way connect with my daws, Logic and Mainstage. USB is fine. Not sure why I wrote that. I’ve edited it now.

What I’m looking for is really just 2-3 drums with a natural feel to them. Triggered drums with silent skins would be great. I’m just looking for a cheap opportunity. I guess $100/$200 is too small of a budget. I’d love it if there was a trigger with a built in module for a small amount like $50-100. There is such a device from Roland, but it’s way more expensive.

Samplepad Pro is good, you can add additional pads and a kick drum to those too if you want someone playing hats/equivalent and kickdrum+snare simultaneously.

Maybe this is the way to go. Can I add additional pads to the original Samplepad too? That one goes very cheap on the used market. If so, then i could get this to begin with for my drummer and due next salary I’d add some real drums to it.

I've only used the pro so wouldn't like to say, but I think the older ones have the connection for additional kick not sure what else or how they compare in terms of playability? - I just have first hand experience of the pro, of a more expensive nord (which I really liked), and the Roland SPD's. so anything else outside of that I would only be relaying what google can give you, sorry.