The New Mac Pro in 2019

From a CNBC article: "In short, the device seems to be an multi-thousand-dollar olive branch to some of Apple's most important and coveted customers — and those that have been feeling neglected in recent years."

The original Techcrunch article:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-workflows/

(The link says "iMac pro," but the article is about the new Mac Pro.)

See macrumors as well.

“We’ve been focusing on visual effects and video editing and 3D animation and music production, as well,” says Ternus. “And we’ve brought in some pretty incredible talent, really masters of their craft. And so they’re now sitting and building out workflows internally with real content and really looking for what are the bottlenecks."

Thank you. The article was a good read.

Apple is going to do whatever they're going to do but man - it is really puzzling why the world's biggest computer company doesn't seem to have the capacity to update the Mac Mini with the latest generation processors. Or why it requires a major design effort to create a new 'pro' computer when the deafening consensus is: just put latest-gen processors and GPU support in the damn cheese-grater chassis. What "problem" are they trying to solve?

Apple is going to do whatever they're going to do but man - it is really puzzling why the world's biggest computer company doesn't seem to have the capacity to update the Mac Mini with the latest generation processors. Or why it requires a major design effort to create a new 'pro' computer when the deafening consensus is: just put latest-gen processors and GPU support in the damn cheese-grater chassis. What "problem" are they trying to solve?

The most disheartening part of the article was when modular was used to describe a setup with multiple ipads, rather than an upgradable machine. Totally agree that what most seem to want is a cut down version of the cheese grater. That's certainly my dream. Smaller box due to no optical drives, SSD bays instead of 3.5 inch, smaller RAM, but basically the same concept.

And yes, a Mac Mini with similar specs to the better iMacs, would also be nice. I might even be tempted to replace my 2008 Mac Pro with a box like that. Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Not everyone prefers the cheese grater form factor, I really hope they won't go back to an old-fashioned design like that.

We much prefer the trash can here and running several in professional environment.

Significantly quieter, no extra graphics card needed to run 4 displays, lower power consumption, way less heat output (meaning less air conditioning, much better portability.

One problem is that there are very different needs for audio work and video/3D rendering. Apple is trying to pull the same cash pile out of all of us. Logic users need very fast clocked CPUs, with a decent number of cores, and decent SSDs. And other than a better sampler than EXS24, we don't need a lot more. In fact, some go out and buy what they need right now, it just doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

A $75 1050ti card will support 2 4K monitors (plus another display) and all the GPU we need for Logic. In spite of all the misinformation, show me one person who has ever improved Logic performance by blowing many hundreds of dollars on a "better" graphics card.

As to the dream of handing a lot of audio processing to GPUs, this has never worked because the latency is dismal: the time it takes to set up and pass data is always slower than the current CPUs .

So in reality the "old fashioned" card cage system might be smartest, using whatever bus is appropriate, because the Video editors can install the arrays of GPUs they require, and the audio creators don't have to pay for monster GPUs they don't need. The power consumption of older chips was much higher, this has nothing to do with the chassis shape.

Forgive my skepticism, but I don't see a common "pro" machine being anything for us but more expensive trashcans. Apple seems to get itself into a deeper corner every time with all their Manhattan Project style committees and meetings.

"So in reality the "old fashioned" card cage system might be smartest, using whatever bus is appropriate, because the Video editors can install the arrays of GPUs they require, and the audio creators don't have to pay for monster GPUs they don't need. The power consumption of older chips was much higher, this has nothing to do with the chassis shape. "

Exactly - I don't understand objections to an updated "cheesegrater" Mac Pro. The form factor would be different but the core idea is solid and versatile.

LOL @ cheese grater, but yep, the big heavy beast is a stayer in my book. All it needs is a more flexible core (ie : upgradeable MB). Once you make an MB upgradeable, and ports replaceable of course, you've got it nailed. I think 1000watt power supply is still enough ;).