Can I install Sierra on to a new MacPro for Logic?

So I have seen a MacPro that I really like,

it is only 10 months old and eligable for Apple care.

Unfortunately the seller updated from Sierra to High Sierra last year.

Is it gonna be painlessly possible to downgrade to SIERRA? and whats the procedure? I am not the brightest button re computersScreen Shot 2018-06-05 at 12.54.04.png, so it needs to be easy!

I wont have to save anything as I wont have anything of mine on the computer yet!

Any help appreciate

just gonna ask this again: why? what happens on sierra that you can't do in high sierra? really, am just curious.

So I have seen a MacPro that I really like,

it is only 10 months old and eligable for Apple care.

Unfortunately the seller updated from Sierra to High Sierra last year.

Is it gonna be painlessly possible to downgrade to SIERRA? and whats the procedure? I am not the brightest button re computersScreen Shot 2018-06-05 at 12.54.04.png, so it needs to be easy!

I wont have to save anything as I wont have anything of mine on the computer yet!

Any help appreciate

just gonna ask this again: why? what happens on sierra that you can't do in high sierra? really, am just curious.

Hi Fking

I really cant risk it, all the mumerous reports of Logic problems with High Sierra, and the Pro Tools version I have is not compatible, and maybe other hardware/software too.

Great that you are are having no issues, but the amount of people who are is crazy!

as far as logic, am having a better experience on HS than on sierra (less fans, no occasional stalls, less cpu usage). remember, 12 people complaining on an internet forum is not definitive; there may be thousands of logic x users on HS who are fine, and don't live on a forum, or who are working, not posting.

but, if your PT is not compatible (& you can't update that), then it is what it is. anyway, have fun with your new mac!

That sounds like a decent machine Kerochan - as I mentioned before, a local Apple maintenance shop would probably do an OS downgrade for you. It isn’t Apple policy so I wouldn’t bother trying an actual Apple store.

Having said that, if I can do it then probably anyone can. The secret is not to panic if anything appears to go wrong, ha ha.

Good points fisherking.

I cant follow the downgrading info anyway, so unless I can find a professional to do it I think I will continue looking for a computer that has SIerra installed.

wouldn't it be easier to upgrade pro tools than downgrade the os? (again, just asking)...

It's pretty easy.

You need to create a USB-stick installer, format the system drive back to HFS+ using Disk Utility from the USB-stick, and finally install Sierra from the USB-stick.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Thanks Eric. All that is far too complicated for me tbh.

Maybe the Apple store can do it?

It's your call. There are plenty of savvy users on this forum that can help you out if you are in doubt.

This looks like a good walkthrough video if you want to try it out yourself:

Hey everyone,

I have been using TIME MACHINE on my main computer (El Capitan) everyday, this has Logic and all my applications etc, why dont i just plug that into the new MacPro? that will automatically change the High Sierra OS to El Capitan right? sorted!

Does anyone know what keys to press after plugging the time machine drive in?

I’m with Eric that it’s not that hard. You definitely can’t do it with the App Store though. But it’s really not that hard. All that being said, if you are not a power user, you might be perfectly fine using High Sierra. If the computer is a good one for a good price then just get it. Me personally if I bought a used computer i would want to whipe it clean to a fresh install of any OS X that is on it, either Sierra or high Sierra. But that’s just me.

And no I would not reccomend you to restore files from time machine to Sierra or high Sierra. I always like to think of time machine as only a temporary backup, one that I can blow away and start over whenever I feel like it. It’s basically a way to get a few files back from an hour ago or several days ago that got accidentally deleted or corrupted. I keep all my important documents backed up another way that is more long term. If you are very careful to restore only your user documents from tm then can be ok but if you accidentally restore any software or system files from El Capitan then your new Sierra or high Sierra system will be fubar

Hey everyone,

I have been using TIME MACHINE on my main computer (El Capitan) everyday, this has Logic and all my applications etc, why dont i just plug that into the new MacPro? that will automatically change the High Sierra OS to El Capitan right? sorted!

You still have to boot into recovery mode and wipe the HD to install an older operating system.

You cannot downgrade that easy.

I second that you should go to HS if the mac pro has an SSD as a system drive, otherwise stick with Sierra.

Hey everyone,

You still have to boot into recovery mode and wipe the HD to install an older operating system.

You cannot downgrade that easy.

I second that you should go to HS if the mac pro has an SSD as a system drive, otherwise stick with Sierra.

ah, all too complicated for me triplets! I am not gonna download, I can either buy the machine with it as it is with High Sierra, or wait tlll one comes along with Sierra.

Thanks so much for the pointers.

i think you're making this way too complicated. migrate everything to the new mac from time machine. upgrade your pro tools, so it's compatible. TRY everything out. and IF you have issues, ask for help here (or a mac forum, like this one: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macos-high-sierra-10-13.203/

for example, there may be a newer driver for you audio interface, etc. or a 3rd-party plugin with a newer version.

as long as you have your other mac, your backup drive... you won't lose anything. and if everything works (with or without our help, for example), you're in business.

i think you're making this way too complicated. migrate everything to the new mac from time machine. upgrade your pro tools, so it's compatible. TRY everything out. and IF you have issues, ask for help here (or a mac forum, like this one: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macos-high-sierra-10-13.203/

for example, there may be a newer driver for you audio interface, etc. or a 3rd-party plugin with a newer version.

as long as you have your other mac, your backup drive... you won't lose anything. and if everything works (with or without our help, for example), you're in business.

Thank you

You are probably right fisherking!

As for Pro Tools I would have to pay for the upgrade unfortunately, not the end of the world. I think there maybe a newer driver for my interface, not a problem.

However, as for migrating everything from my time machine, I really have no idea how to do it!

start here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350 and google! lots of people buy used macs and move their stuff; migration assistant will give you options, select them all (ie applications, settings, documents... whatever those options are).

if you have any problems, you still have your current mac, and you can get help here, or a mac forum (apple's own forums are really useful).

start here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350 and google! lots of people buy used macs and move their stuff; migration assistant will give you options, select them all (ie applications, settings, documents... whatever those options are).

if you have any problems, you still have your current mac, and you can get help here, or a mac forum (apple's own forums are really useful).

Cheers again fisherking, actually that looks fairly straight forward! still haven decided what to do, but the migration assistant thing seems great, feeling a lot more confident after reading it.

Totally agree ! I am in the middle of writing an album and these distractions are so time consuming! my system is running flawlessly tbh, MB Pro maxed out, blah blah

I would however like a desk top computer for future work.

But you are correct, the music is priority. thanks for reminding me!

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party but I can confirm some things from personal experience:

1. Apple tech support has told me that I cannot install Sierra on my MBP which came with High Sierra Installed. (I tried, being booted from an external Sierra HD where did utility would not erase the internal SSD.)

2. On my old MBP (Late 2011) I was able to downgrade an internal 2.5" SSD from HS to S. Yes, I had to reformat from scratch and reinstall all apps and appropriate licenses. It sucked but had the advantage of a very nice clean environment. If you're facing this, belly up to the bar and definitely wipe the drive before installing Sierra.

3. Once I explained my issues with High Sierra, Apple provided a link for Sierra, even though it was no longer on the App Store.

I have been out of pocket and not on this forum.

I can confirm that a 2017 MPB which shipped with High Sierra (I opened the shrink-wrapped box) could not be erased when booted from an external Hard Drive running Sierra. In fact, I called Apple Tech Support, had them screen share and was told this was normal behavior. The option to erase (which I could also call reformat) was grayed out, FTR. I am not a novice but was as surprised as any of you. I am happy though, in the end, because the one issue I was trying to avoid (going back to Sierra so my Apogee Duet Firewire would work for sure) turned out to be a non-issue.

I was told by Apple TS, If a computer shipped with HS, it could not be downgraded to S. If it shipped with S and was upgraded by user to HS, it could be downgraded back to S. This was specific to my computer, the 2017 MBP but I suspect it apples across the Apple product line.