A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
uncleozzy
Topic Author
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:39 am

Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Am I losing it or are the specs on these things just bonkers? The top-spec 13" Macbook Pro has single-core performance to match the iMac Pro. Of course, it's a $2500 13" laptop, but considering I paid almost $2k for my current iMac 7 years ago (!!!), it doesn't seem like such a terrible deal. I've been holding off on an upgrade for a while now (I can brew a pot of coffee in the time it takes to reboot or open a project, for one), but the lineup didn't seem like that big of an improvement, until now.

Anybody producing on a Macbook Pro (of any generation, screen size)? I mostly stay in one place, but there have been times where it would have been great to have taken it with me. Worth the big pile of cash?
Logic Pro X 10.4.5
OS X 10.14.5
2018 Mac Mini i7, 16GB RAM
Focusrite Clarett 8pre
 
User avatar
Atlas007
Posts: 9515
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 pm

If your gripe is about the lenghty boot time, opting for an SSD drive is an obvious route...
LogicPro 10.6.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.5.1
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear
 
uncleozzy
Topic Author
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:39 am

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 am

Can you even get one without an SSD anymore? Problem is I have a 21.5" iMac right now, and adding an SSD is much harder than on the 27" of the same vintage.
Logic Pro X 10.4.5
OS X 10.14.5
2018 Mac Mini i7, 16GB RAM
Focusrite Clarett 8pre
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 pm

i've always worked on macbook pros (currently, a 2015 i7 13"), and am pretty happy (i also do FCPX on this mac). so, the newer machines should kill compared to my mac; get an i7 absolutely, and 16gb ram. i have 512g ssd, but even a 256 would work (if you're will to store a lot on an external).

my point is... the processor & ram will matter. and all macbooks now only have ssds...
LP10.6.2 • os11.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
crabbi
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Kent, England
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 am

Been waiting for this new arrival, but has anyone tested the new 2018 MacBook Pro with Logic? Although the spec sounds great on paper, I have read of problems already, concerning thermal issues which are 'throttling' CPU performance. https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/mobil ... al-issues/
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Logic Pro X version 10.4.1 on OSX Mojave version 10.14.1
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:16 am

yeah, im probably skipping this gen.
had preorder on i9 and cancelled it for now...
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:17 am

fisherking wrote:
i've always worked on macbook pros (currently, a 2015 i7 13"), and am pretty happy (i also do FCPX on this mac). so, the newer machines should kill compared to my mac; get an i7 absolutely, and 16gb ram. i have 512g ssd, but even a 256 would work (if you're will to store a lot on an external).

my point is... the processor & ram will matter. and all macbooks now only have ssds...


yeah they should. but they don't because they overheat. :(
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am

Ploki wrote:
fisherking wrote:
i've always worked on macbook pros (currently, a 2015 i7 13"), and am pretty happy (i also do FCPX on this mac). so, the newer machines should kill compared to my mac; get an i7 absolutely, and 16gb ram. i have 512g ssd, but even a 256 would work (if you're will to store a lot on an external).

my point is... the processor & ram will matter. and all macbooks now only have ssds...


yeah they should. but they don't because they overheat. :(


i would too, wait for the next generation, if i were going for the i9; otherwise, a 2018 macbook pro is still a powerful machine...
LP10.6.2 • os11.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm

fisherking wrote:
Ploki wrote:

yeah they should. but they don't because they overheat. :(


i would too, wait for the next generation, if i were going for the i9; otherwise, a 2018 macbook pro is still a powerful machine...


it is, but so far only 2.2 performs as it should. both 2.6 and 2.9 need undervolting/TDP limit to get better performance.
and compared to similar design factor (thin) windows machines, they underperform.

the bigger issue with i9 seems to be VRMs overheating, which is even worse.

it's pretty clear these machines were designed with 10nm process in mind in my opinion.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Ploki wrote:
fisherking wrote:

i would too, wait for the next generation, if i were going for the i9; otherwise, a 2018 macbook pro is still a powerful machine...


it is, but so far only 2.2 performs as it should. both 2.6 and 2.9 need undervolting/TDP limit to get better performance.
and compared to similar design factor (thin) windows machines, they underperform.

the bigger issue with i9 seems to be VRMs overheating, which is even worse.

it's pretty clear these machines were designed with 10nm process in mind in my opinion.


not arguing that at all...
LP10.6.2 • os11.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:21 am

fisherking wrote:
Ploki wrote:

it is, but so far only 2.2 performs as it should. both 2.6 and 2.9 need undervolting/TDP limit to get better performance.
and compared to similar design factor (thin) windows machines, they underperform.

the bigger issue with i9 seems to be VRMs overheating, which is even worse.

it's pretty clear these machines were designed with 10nm process in mind in my opinion.


not arguing that at all...


apparently a fix was released that sorts it out?
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
uncleozzy
Topic Author
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:39 am

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:47 am

Yeah, supposedly the fix improves performance significantly on the i9. I wonder about the 6-core i7, though, since performance is similar-enough without sending the price totally into the stratosphere (it's a 5ish% spec-bump with a 10-15% price bump).

I'd like to consider the top-spec 13-inch, for portability, but once you upgrade to 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, you're within $100 of the bottom-spec 15-inch. The single-core performance is a wash (the 13-inch Geekbench score is only 4% higher), but the extra pair of cores in the 15-inch gets you 20% better multi-core benchmarks. Logic likes strong single-core performance, but I would think the extra 4 virtual cores would make a difference in larger projects.
Logic Pro X 10.4.5
OS X 10.14.5
2018 Mac Mini i7, 16GB RAM
Focusrite Clarett 8pre
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Mid-2018 Macbook Pros

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:17 am

uncleozzy wrote:
Yeah, supposedly the fix improves performance significantly on the i9. I wonder about the 6-core i7, though, since performance is similar-enough without sending the price totally into the stratosphere (it's a 5ish% spec-bump with a 10-15% price bump).

I'd like to consider the top-spec 13-inch, for portability, but once you upgrade to 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, you're within $100 of the bottom-spec 15-inch. The single-core performance is a wash (the 13-inch Geekbench score is only 4% higher), but the extra pair of cores in the 15-inch gets you 20% better multi-core benchmarks. Logic likes strong single-core performance, but I would think the extra 4 virtual cores would make a difference in larger projects.


i9 also has better single core performance tho. The performance bump since fix seems larger tho, i saw geekbench results for i9 in 25k for multicore and 5,6k for single.
Top i7 2.6GHz is ~5300/23700 and top i9 5900/25500. Which is more of in the 10% vicinity than 5% (same as the price)

lately when i run out of CPU in logic, all threads are pretty much used.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck