Macbook speakers for monitoring

Hi,

Any tips on small, fairly flat response monitors to use via a Macbook? I say 'fairly' as being compact and connecting via the headphone output they won't be ideal & I won't ultimately be doing final mixes off my laptop but would appreciate advice on the best speakers for monitoring-as-you-go. Cheers.

Invest in some nice headphones. If you're depending on portability. I have some AKG K240's. They're fairly inexpensive (around $80), and they work perfect. They have a nice flat response which allows you to get an idea of what you're mix will sound like when it does come time to finalize.

i met with a music publisher about 4 years ago, he loved my work, but criticized my mixes (something i am generally well-regarded for, so i was pretty annoyed)... until he asked if i was mixing in headphones, and that was that. i ALWAYS mix on monitors now.

MIXING on monitors is essential (altho i still work a lot in phones, AKG K712). mixes in headphones sound great on iphones, in earbuds. etc. but mixes still should sound great FIRST on speakers...

• 2 weeks later...
MIXING on monitors is essential

I agree when you get started. Then when you get a bit better at it, you can actually mix with headphones. I've done it with great results. Still I always check my mix on speakers and always have to do some corrections when doing so, especially in the low end. But I no longer subscribe to the "absolutely never mix with headphones" hard rule I used to follow and spread around.

MIXING on monitors is essential

I agree when you get started. Then when you get a bit better at it, you can actually mix with headphones. I've done it with great results. Still I always check my mix on speakers and always have to do some corrections when doing so, especially in the low end. But I no longer subscribe to the "absolutely never mix with headphones" hard rule I used to follow and spread around.

I call the headphone work "premix".

You can do the general compression, some EQing, and setup reverbs.

No headphones i tried could i get the balance absolutely right or reverb levels