BASS TRAP & ACOUSTIC FOAM PLACEMENT

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have 4 12" x 12" x 24" Bass traps, and an extra roll of egg crate acoustic foam.

Im wondering what 4 corners would be best to treat with the Bass Traps. Ive read that the trihedral corners are most important.

I was wondring if I should treat all 4 trihedral corners of the room (wall-wall-ceiling), or focus on the trihedral corners (wall-wall-ceiling and wall-wall-floor intersections) in the corners facing my studio monitors? (monitor output)

I also was wondering if there was a way for me to construct my own bass traps/additional bass traps using acoustic egg-crate foam?

I had two rolls of 1-1/2" Acoustic Eggcrate Foam 72"x80" and 72"x48".

One of which I cut in squares that I am going to mount on my wall surfaces...

But, I have a full roll left, so I was wondering if I could somehow manipulate this foam to construct additional bass traps?

thanks!

• Solution

12" x 12" x 24" ? Are those cylindrical? What are they made of?

The key word is to experiment but indeed corners are the most important. Keep in mind you have 8 trihedral corners in your room: 4 on the floor, 4 on the ceiling. Personally I would start with experimenting placing the bass traps around ear height in the wall/wall corners. So if they're 48" tall, they should cover 24" below ear level and 24" above ear level.

No, you can't create bass traps using egg crate foam. That stuff is pretty much crap, it will absorb all your high frequencies and do nothing for your bass, resulting in an unbalanced room. Use only sparingly if you feel your room reflects too much high end, but that's rarely the case.

• 1 year later...