End of an Era...?

Hi all... I own an early 2015 MBRP (sans CD) and recently made the leap to Mojave (10.14.6), basically waiting for the "all clear" from the makers of the tons of plug-ins I use. I have Ableton Live 9 and Pro Tools 12, but swear by LPX for my workflow. I use a UA Apollo Twin SOLO Thunderbolt as my interface.

This is my dilemma. I LOVE the Twin, and I'm pretty much a fan of UA. But I refuse to 'downgrade' to the Arrow should I upgrade the MBRP (which I eventually will have to do). There is no need to go the rackmount yet, because it's just me and my synths for now. So what other desktop interfaces that use the TB-3 port are out there? And are they at least on par with UA when it comes to the 'sound'?

Thanx in advance!

~oH~

"So what other desktop interfaces that use the TB-3 port are out there? And are they at least on par with UA when it comes to the 'sound'?"

Just want to know what's out there should I need to upgrade my MacBook. I'm trying to stay with a desktop but if I have to go rackmount, I already know what I need to save up for.

I don't understand why my original question keeps getting overlooked. Cost doesn't matter to me. So please stop asking about that.

I don't even know what's "comparable to or better than" UA (past Lynx, MOTU, Apogee and Focusrite), so I can stand to learn something there. But neither major music production website offers a desktop TB 3 interface outside of Arrow (which ain't happening). Maybe that means I'm searching for something that doesn't even exist (yet), but I came here asking if it even does exist. That's what I need to know.

Cost doesn't matter to me

Why didn't you say that on my first question? I cannot recommend an interface if I don't know that. So here are a couple of options for you:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Red4Pre--focusrite-red-4pre

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUFXP--rme-fireface-ufx-usb-3.0-thunderbolt-audio-interface

These need a T3 to T2 adapter.

The new Apollo has TB 3:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloX6--universal-audio-apollo-x6-16x22-thunderbolt-3-audio-interface-with-uad-dsp

Will we really need to go to TB3? I would assume it would be necessary if we were doing something like 200 or more tracks.. I'm on the fence about buying a new mac pro (always have). But in this case I'll just wait and see, not sure if the price, justifies my needs (yeah it'a fun to have the latest and greatest. But if all we're doing is audio, do we really need the extra speed and price?

Why didn't you say that on my first question? I cannot recommend an interface if I don't know that. So here are a couple of options for you:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Red4Pre--focusrite-red-4pre

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUFXP--rme-fireface-ufx-usb-3.0-thunderbolt-audio-interface

The new Apollo has TB 3:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloX6--universal-audio-apollo-x6-16x22-thunderbolt-3-audio-interface-with-uad-dsp

Have a seat, Triplets. If I'm asking just to know if there are any desktop TB 3 audio interfaces out there, that's what I wanna know. Cost NEVER was part of my original question.

AND, you still didn't answer my question. :roll:

Just buy an TB3 to TB2 adapter from Apple - it is $50 but your Apollo Twin will keep working just fine.

Now THERE'S an answer I can work with. I never considered an adapter because I was told that it had to be a native connection. I will look into that. Thanx!

EDIT: According to the UA website, here's what they say about backward-compatibility with adapters. It didn't specifically mentioned the desktop unit, but I gotta believe this can be true for that as well.

"The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.

Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product.

Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)

Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-B"

Further...and THIS is important...

"The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (Product ID: MMEL2AM/A)...is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer’s Thunderbolt 3 port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter."

If that's the only workaround I need, then all I really need is the Apollo Twin QUAD Thunderbolt so I can make use of all the UA plug-ins I want without taxing a 4-yr old MacBook too much (I've only had it since early 2016). This REALLY changes things...IF it's all true... (lol) Thanx again!!

Edited by o'darque hunnett

Will we really need to go to TB3? I would assume it would be necessary if we were doing something like 200 or more tracks.. I'm on the fence about buying a new mac pro (always have). But in this case I'll just wait and see, not sure if the price, justifies my needs (yeah it'a fun to have the latest and greatest. But if all we're doing is audio, do we really need the extra speed and price?

Hmmm...200 tracks...I've had a few come close...(lol), but I'm just trying to determine my options should the day arrive when I'm forced to upgrade my MBRP. It took me forever just to get on board with each macOS update because, as you know, everything you use has to play nice within it to minimize crashes. But newer MacBooks have already phased out TB 2, and I'm still not completely convinced their USB-C ports can be used for TB 3 traffic (yet). I've been OK with my Apollo for now, but I've wanted the MK II for years. Maybe I will need to wait and see as well.

Do I NEED TB 3? Probably not. I've never needed more than 75 tracks of audio to do my projects. But I do WANT it. And if I already have UA products, and I've been using TB 2, I really don't want the downgrade if I can help it. Thanx for your insight!

AND, you still didn't answer my question.

Rolling eyes, nice, apparently you didn't read anything I wrote in my previous post.

I said:

The new Apollo has TB 3:

So where I am not saying that there's a TB3 interface? I even mention the T3 to T2 adapter.

But whatever dude.

Next time, be a little more clear what you wanna know.

DESKTOP, Triplets. I mentioned that from the start. Your links were RACKMOUNT. I specifically said "There's no need to go the rackmount (route) yet...", then in a later reply, I said if I opt to go rackmount, I already know what to save up for. I promise you, it was ALL there.

I'm man enough to admit that I skimmed over your mentioning of an adapter. My mistake.

But I was Swarovski clear about what I asked. If YOU can't answer those questions without knowing MY budget FIRST, then that's your issue.

• 1 month later...

HUGE UPDATE (OK, only to me, but humour me anyways...):

Now, we all know that UA has released the new Apollo interfaces. They're both TB3/-2 compatible and desktops (which is what I want), I don't have to give up my plug-ins, and the x4 is only a few hundred outta my range for the moment. So I'm gonna be just fine until it's time to upgrade/replace the MacBook!

Now...about Komplete 13.... (lol)