Looking for a SYSEX Management Solution

I have 8 x 3.5" double-density floppy discs filled with SYSEX files saved from sequencers, outboard effects, a MIDI patch bay and drum machines that I wish to archive on my computer. These were all saved to floppy disc using an Alesis Datadisk in the mid-90's. I still own the Datadisk, yesterday I loaded an old project and had read-errors that scared the hell out of me.

I once tried SYSEX Librarian and it didn't save to my Mac properly. I connected the Datadisk to my Mac via MIDI, hit "send" and SYSEX Librarian claimed it couldn't save the file.

Are there any other solutions? Can I save a single SYSEX files in a Logic project?

I have a USB2 floppy drive. If I just copy & paste a floppy disk's contents in Finder, will those files be of any use?

Thank you for advice on any of the questions above.

In all honesty, I would take a step back and look at the big picture. Will the resulting files be of any real use and really worth all the effort ? Maybe you're only trying to satisfy your hoarder impulse, which is what the wish to just 'archive' them is hinting at ?

Like, are you really using that MIDI patchbay today and in the future ? Are you really going to use the drum patterns you excitedly hacked into that drum computer 25 years ago ? What may be the reason you didn't use them since ? And if they really stood the test of time, why couldn't you just recreate in minutes today what took you hours back then because of that awkward interface, and with even better results ?

Actually yes, I have plans to use no less than 10 songs from my drum machine and sequencer SYSEX dumps, I don't really give a s#!+ about the MIDI patch bay, or the Quadraverb GT, or any of the other backups on these discs, but who the hell wants to read all of what I just wrote in a simple request for info about permanently backing up my files? As it is, my original post - meant to give context, written at the end of a long day - is too long.

And why would I spend, say, 3 hours rewriting/recreating drum patterns & sequences for a song I intend to use when I have all of the data sitting 10 feet away on discs I've kept in immaculate condition, and when I still have the unit I used to back them up? The extra 2 hours 55 minutes after successfully transferring the original data could be spent sweetening them, updating them, making changes if I'm inspired in Logic. Out of maybe 60 songs on those disks, these are songs worth keeping that have stood the test of time.

If I'm going to find a solution to back up one disk, I'll take the extra time to back them all up, because we're talking KBs of data and a process I can run while apparently de-cluttering my studio and my life.

If your intention is to shake some sense into me, when you don't even know me, well, um, thank you. I guess. Otherwise, mind your own business.

Edited to clarify a response written before morning coffee.

• 1 month later...
Have you tried transferring to sysex librarian at the slower speeds?

And are you using a dedicated MIDI interface and not one of those USB dongle thingies?

I'm using a MIDISport 4x4. I was able to capture the sysex dumps I needed by transferring at a slower speed per your suggestion.

Will try rAC's suggestion next...transferring the original sysex dumps via Finder was my first gut instinct. The sysex dumps in question are on old double-density, 3.5" floppies. I have a USB floppy drive but I'm not sure if it will read double density disks. Guess I'll find out!

Thank you to skijumptoes and rAC for your replies.