Why Shouldn't You Do Side EQ with Minimum Phase?

The way it is now phrased I was expecting an explanation. But the actual topic should have been:

"Why shouldn't you do side EQ with minimum phase?"

My guess is that with minimum phase you get phasing, albeit minimally. But that is just guessing. I don't think I have used side EQing yet. I am so ashamed. But at least now I know that "an" engineer has said to use linear phase EQ for that. Who am I to not listen to "an" engineer? So in my next project I am going to use linear phase side EQ-ing, regardless of whether that is needed or not.

Isn't the side channel what's generally un-corellated to the Mid channel?

As in, Side channel is everything that's not in the Mid channel.

In any case, i don't really mind, and i generally dislike the sound of Linear Phase EQs so I did indeed use minimal phase mid/side-EQ before, and will in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
There are a few eqs that do mid-side, but aren’t linear phase. So I’d say that suggests something to.

FabFilter ProQ, Voxengo every EQ since ever, Logic's Channel EQ, Logic's Vintage EQs, and just about every hardware mid0side EQ in existence.

bx_digital, H-EQ, Scheps Omni EQ, Elysia museq... So, yes... Mid-Side can be done with minimal phase eq. Is long as it's an improvement to the overall sound, what does it matter.

FabFilter ProQ, Voxengo every EQ since ever, Logic's Channel EQ, Logic's Vintage EQs, and just about every hardware mid0side EQ in existence.

bx_digital, H-EQ, Scheps Omni EQ, Elysia museq... So, yes... Mid-Side can be done with minimal phase eq. Is long as it's an improvement to the overall sound, what does it matter.

I think fiddling with m/s alone if you don't know what you're doing is more dangerous. I couldn't produce test that would result in worse mono compatibility because no-latency EQ was in place of linear phase.

I think fiddling with m/s alone if you don't know what you're doing is more dangerous. I couldn't produce test that would result in worse mono compatibility because no-latency EQ was in place of linear phase.

That's quite a valid point. I think it comes back down to bypassing it and comparing it with the original and asking yourself if it's an improvement. Do it again in mono and if you're doing more harm than good then change it, or drop it completely.

I tend to begin with regular stereo eq with both sides linked, then when it's close and it's helping, not hurting, I will unlink the sides and drop it into mid-side mode and make some tweaks from there.