Jamming and looping with hardware synths

Dear friends,

I have a small studio with a few hardware synths and a nord drumkit all connected via midi and audio to a rme audio interface.

I use logic as DAW,

but I would like to jam a bit sometimes, e.g. by quickly composing a drum loop, then looping a bas part played on one synth, and start to perform solo/lead pads on my other synth, etc.

Do you have any advice on how to do this the best/most practical way? would mainstage or any other software be better for this than logic pro x itself?

thanks for the time!

Using External Instrument plugins on different tracks could ease the setup. Using custom presets, patches, track stacks and template could improve convenience.

Mainstage has the Playback plugin and Loopback plugin which are ideal for jamming over an on-the-fly or pre-recorded riff. Those plugins aren't available in Logic. However, Logic has Drummer and offer way more options in general, besides the possibility to record your performance.

One possible setup could be creating a summing stack, made of a different track for each of your hardware device. Each of the subtrack instantiated with an External Instrument plugin set (MIDI-wise) to target each of your hardware gear.

Each gear sending and reveiving on discrete MIDI channel, corresponding to their track's MIDI channel parameter (set in the track's inspector).

Enabling Cycle for the desired length to jam over.

Alternately, enabling the "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording" could allow to record and play multiple instruments on distinct channels at once.

Thank you!

If i create a loop in logic and start recording severañ hardware using suto demix, what would be tje best comping setting? When i play a bass or drum loop i want logic to loop and play it immediately, butwhen i start playing leads i want it to record but not playback so i can play freely...