New 16" macbooks are out!

https://www.apple.com

and they replaced the 15" model.

And I've gotta say, the price is much lower than I expect, and the baseline is very well spec'd. And they listened to most of the community requests.

It's thicker and has 30% better airflow, it has a scissor keyboard, the upgrades are reasonably priced, base model has 512GB SSD...

Good portable audio macbook pro.

It’s a beast but... I’m at a crossroads. I feel duped having sold my 2012 Mac Pro. While my well speced 2018 MacBook Pro is nice... it’s just not powerful enough. Wife says I can look at new Mac Pro as my 60th birthday present for the new year... or, do I finally admit I want all that but switch away at last from Logic Pro and get a proper audio PC made up for me... decisions, decisions..

I think the coming Mac Pro is overkill for audio.

Get a spec'ed out 6-core Mac Mini and you're in business when choosing between currently offered hardware.

The problem is, the baseline 8-core going for 5999$ is really not all that.

And all the GPU stuff it comes with is useless for audio

I am 90 days in to my new iMac - 8 core i9

It cost about the same as the new MacBook Pro ($3000 give or take) with 1TB SSD, 40 GB RAM, and a gorgeous 5k Retina display.

If I wanted to be portable (sometimes) I would easily go for the new 16" MacBook Pro - but I would be staying at the 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD version and be happy to plug things in when needed.

It's looking like a nice beast - AND you get the nifty Touch Bar buttons for driving Logic ! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Says mine should be here Friday! Will test and report as soon as I can get it all installed and running, although I’m sure I’ll have to do without some plugs for a bit

95% of my plugins (synths, samplers, effects, etc) are 3rd-party, and all worked immediately in catalina (but you can always check with the developer)...

Says mine should be here Friday! Will test and report as soon as I can get it all installed and running, although I’m sure I’ll have to do without some plugs for a bit

95% of my plugins (synths, samplers, effects, etc) are 3rd-party, and all worked immediately in catalina (but you can always check with the developer)...

How about the fan noise or overload problems?

Could you please tell me?

I'm planning to buy one soon.

• 2 months later...