Make sound only on sides

Go to solution Solved by Eriksimon,

Hi,

I have a stereo clap sample and I tried to make the sample play only on sides (like the attached sample)

So I convert the stereo clap to mono and set one sample to left and the second to right, but it's still feel it's coming from "center" (and not like the attached sample)

How can I make it like the sample?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7H03ah0yJChZyfip_YgV6bxKO5qzVXo/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

If there is no phase difference or greater time difference between left amnd right sides, it will indeed still be appearing yo come from the center. Not because Logic isn't doing it right, but because the left and right sounds are still arriving at your ears at exactly the same time. You really need to use some sort of stereo effect such as Chorus or Ensemble or Reverb or the simplest: Sample Delay on either of the sides. Or use different samples on both tracks. But the closer those samples are together in time, the more they will seem to come from the center. You could also try Pitch Shift om either of the samples, but whatever you do: there must be some sort of difference between the left and the right side.

If there is no phase difference or greater time difference between left amnd right sides, it will indeed still be appearing yo come from the center. Not because Logic isn't doing it right, but because the left and right sounds are still arriving at your ears at exactly the same time. You really need to use some sort of stereo effect such as Chorus or Ensemble or Reverb or the simplest: Sample Delay on either of the sides. Or use different samples on both tracks. But the closer those samples are together in time, the more they will seem to come from the center. You could also try Pitch Shift om either of the samples, but whatever you do: there must be some sort of difference between the left and the right side.

Accurate answer thank you, so how at the sample I attached the left and right sounds same but it's sounds only on sides?

Could you post a screen capture of your mixer when the claps is playing in cycles, to also show the level meters.

Eriksimon answer to me thanks

Hi,

I have a stereo clap sample and I tried to make the sample play only on sides (like the attached sample)

Technically speaking you need to mute the mid signal, only leaving the side signal.

You can do that using most M/S plug-ins, such as the free Voxengo MSED:

https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

Press the MID MUTE button.

However, I don't think that's what you actually want. Instead you probably want a clap that's perceived as very wide. That's all about having a big difference between the left and right channels, whether that's in frequency content and/or timing.

If you try to obtain that by inverting polarity on one side of the stereo image, you risk the signal phasing either entirely or partly out when summed to mono (such as on most older phones and iPads, transistor radios, and the Soundboks). Delaying one side slightly will shift the phase and could also lead to partial phasing out of the signal when played in mono.

If you have an existing stereo sound you could also try to widen that existing signal by raising the SIDE GAIN in the aforementioned plug-in. This is mono compatible as it won't affect how it sounds in mono, although it will affect any subsequent dynamic processing (which affects the whole signal).

Hi,

Technically speaking you need to mute the mid signal, only leaving the side signal.

You can do that using most M/S plug-ins, such as the free Voxengo MSED:

https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

Press the MID MUTE button.

However, I don't think that's what you actually want. Instead you probably want a clap that's perceived as very wide. That's all about having a big difference between the left and right channels, whether that's in frequency content and/or timing.

If you try to obtain that by inverting polarity on one side of the stereo image, you risk the signal phasing either entirely or partly out when summed to mono (such as on most older phones and iPads, transistor radios, and the Soundboks). Delaying one side slightly will shift the phase and could also lead to partial phasing out of the signal when played in mono.

If you have an existing stereo sound you could also try to widen that existing signal by raising the SIDE GAIN in the aforementioned plug-in. This is mono compatible as it won't affect how it sounds in mono, although it will affect any subsequent dynamic processing (which affects the whole signal).

Thanks, you know a better plugin than Voxengo for M/S? (free/paid I don't care :)

• 2 weeks later...

Why better? MSED is great, i use it literally on every project. Voxengo actually has great imaging plugins.

You can use the free Corellometer to check phase coherence across the frequency spectrum (quite unique, it's literally the only plugin that does this) or Soniformer to adjust M/S width multiband across the frequency spectrum.

for more advanced imaging tools (beside the already mentioned Soniformer),

you have leapwing Stage One for "stereo widening" of mono sources, that's quite unique and Leapwing Center One for advanced M/S manipulation that's less prone to go out of phase

https://www.leapwingaudio.com/stageone/

https://www.leapwingaudio.com/centerone/

But it seems to me you don't really understand how stereo/imaging works so a new ""better"" plugin won't help you.

If you want a super wide clap, you need a stereo clap to begin with, then boost the side signal (with MSED or Direction mixer, but i prefer MSED because it has built-in phase corellation and lissajous) just enough so phase corellation doesn't go below 0 into negative.

Else you need to put on a very short reverb, or a "stereoizing" plugin such as StageOne, or Voxengo Spatifier (another imaging plugin).

You can also use literally ANY EQ (or gain) in Dual-Mono Mid/Side mode in logic as well for boosting sides.

but m/s manipulations (aside simple "gain" such as MSED) can be detrimental if you don't know exactly what you're doing.