Reconditioned Mac

Hi everyone,

My 17 year old son is learning Music Tech at School (lucky him, we never had that opportunity in my day) and has requested a Mac laptop to run Logic which they use at his school. I'm a PC man, knowing nothing about Macs, apart from the fact I still havent forgiven Apple for buying Emagic 20 years ago and discontinuing Logic for us PC users.

I have found a company in the UK with a large selection of second hand Macs here ..

https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/category/computers-and-accessories/laptops/macbook-pro/

I have seen recomendations of at least an i5 CPU but would appreciate any opinions from experience Mac users as to the sort of spec he would need to run the latest Logic. He wont be producing dozens of tracks as its mainly for learning but I would like to give him the headroom to make the most of it.

Many thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how things are in the UK, but I have bought [almost ...] every one of my many Macs at the Apple "refurbished equipment" store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

This is where the demonstrators in the various stores wind up: "the stuff that you were supposed to be drooling over last year." :D The machines have been reconditioned to "like new" condition and are covered by the same [available ...] AppleCare® warranties that are available for new equipment purchases. But they're less expensive because, in the eyes of the law, they are no longer "New."

So, I simply buy them, along with the longest-possible AppleCare warranty, and they arrive in the mail in a couple of days in a completely-unmarked box. I have never been less than pleased.

One time, out of utter necessity, I did make a similar purchase from an "Apple® Authorized Reseller" and it wound up pretty-much the same. The unit was two, instead of one, year(s) older, but once again it was fully covered by AppleCare ... (which turned out to be a very good thing in Puerto Rico, but that's another story).

Now – generally speaking, "I would recommend 'relatively new,'" because Apple doesn't allow its newer operating systems to run on older hardware. ("Planned obsolescence?!" You betcha.) Don't waste your time with something that can't run ... uhh, isn't allowed to run ... Catalina. (JM2CW...)

My early 2015 MBRP is nice though I still need to look into these screen flickering episodes. I wouldn't even venture past the 2016 models unless his school is dead set on their students working with just 4 USB-C/TB 3 ports. He's gonna have more than he's ever gonna need. And best of luck to him in all his creative and academic endeavours!