Setting up a KORG Synth to Logic!

Hi! I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) and a microkorg synth and Logic Pro X. I've been trying to plug the korg synth into the interface using a 1/4 to 1/4 inch cable and then into my laptop/Logic. But I'm assuming what I'm missing is the MIDI interface.... any tips?

Thanks

You will, indeed, need to buy a USB-capable "MIDI interface," or a more general-purpose device which includes one. (No doubt a short length of microphone-cable will come with it.) Your Macintosh, and therefore Logic, should immediately recognize the device and you should be off-and-running without a hitch. (Expect it to be "dirt cheap.")

But first, you should check the back of the keyboard to see if it also includes a USB port. (The port might look square or house-shaped ... like what you typically see on a printer.) My latest Korg "88-key Christmas Present" includes both. :D If it does, you can simply buy an appropriate cable and attach it to your computer that way: Logic will see it as "MIDI." (Furthermore, your keyboard will probably be capable of gratuitously exposing its own ports as a "MIDI interface" for any other gear you have which might be older and cooler.)

So to record the Audio fron your Korg, you'll have to set the inputs on the recording strip to input 1-2.

pic 1: After creating an audio track, you can set the inputs. The round circle is for mono signals.

pic2: Click on that round circle to get the interlaced circles. Thats stereo inputs.

pic 3 you can set what set of stereo inputs you want here.

1520715249_1Audioinputmono.thumb.png.bb7542dde04a326a702487b3f5b4fc91.png

Pic 1

522082802_2Audioinputstereo.thumb.png.10f461b6e55402d74f10a31db49f7b93.png

Pic 2

1486622518_3Wheretofindyourinputs.thumb.png.f8b33edbf9303e257b3bd5c53ed1083d.png

Pic 3

Edited by pranaearth

Now for MIDI, I think you'll have to install the Korg MIDI driver.

I looked at Korgs website and it looks like the majority of their USB MIDI enabled devices require this driver.

You can use the External Instrument Plug In when you go to create an External MIDI track.

In the plug in settings, you can tell Logic what MIDI channels to use as well as the audio channels.

If you're using the Korg MIDI driver, I believe it will show up here.

It's been a long time since I've had my Kronos, or any external synth, I've forgotten the specifics.

But this should get you started.

931470867_ExternalInstrumentPlugInSettings.thumb.png.68ac38079faf019a91a7e01b6a5d67ef.png

323173840_CreatinganExternalMIDITrack.thumb.png.58a7e4f6c0edf454c3fd2e60761c68a2.png