sample use vs... [RESOLVED]

i realize this is not a forum for lawyers (or is it??) :mrgreen:

i have a library of guitar phrases (audio samples) i own; i went to use one in a pop project, but it didn't feel quite right, so i had a (what do you call it?) real guitarist replay the part (a 2-measure phrase).

someone i work with suggests this could be a problem; that the sample creators could claim it's a copied phrase of one of their samples (which, again, i own a license for).

just wondering what people here think; does this seem problematic? any thoughts, suggestions?

Edited by fisherking

My 2 cents:

Different countries, different rules.

If the license authorizes using the recorded material, free from copyright, and by "using" it means mangling with it using a DAW or otherwise, I don't see why it could not include playing back a re-recorded live version of the same.

Reading the license's details (including the fine prints) could be informative in that regard.

Otherwise, pretty much anything goes, especially, after considering the rendered judgement following the case opposing the Taurus vs Led Zeppelin re the Stairway to Heaven song opening theme...

Often a lawsuit is often tributary of the involved parts and their representatives...

It won't get flagged, it's a cleared loop

And i don't think there's an issue here, you have the license for it anyway... What would they sue you for?

iirc i did that before.. :D

I don't know what popularity you except your song to have, but most likely nobody will ever hear it or care - and if it will, you'll have money to pay for lawyers

I don't know what popularity you except your song to have, but most likely nobody will ever hear it or care - and if it will, you'll have money to pay for lawyers

ha, not the approach i'd want to take. have had hits, am always aiming for those... but right, would not get flagged, it's a loop amongst hundreds, not a recognizable phrase of a song.

will sort it out 8-)