New to mastering , will Izotope Ozone 9 help me master as a newbie?

I am new to this wonderful world of music production. I am currently working on a debut album with 9-10 tracks. I tried to master one of my more finalized tracks with LANDR and it was pretty good. Over all I was happy with it and it did what it said, honestly though it really just seemed louder/more full to me and maybe slightly more clear (i picked the loudest intensity option though and you can hear my newbie mix i provided the algorithm with too much bass) but that's another story. Well with that said it's $10 a track for a wav master file. This is going to add up very quickly., the other option is to buy one month of their service at $39 per month and get unlimited mastering for wav files. That's an option too which isn't too bad to do the whole album when its ready for $39.

I then started thinking long term and how it would be nice to get better or at least try mastering etc. and i came across Izoptope's Ozone 9, and it seems pretty fancy, and almost has automatic mastering abilities to a point. Am I hoping for too much considering this $150 plug in and thinking it will make me a master at mastering? I am so new to all of this, each freaking aspect of music production can become a rabbit hole of discovery and contemplation and learning and spending. So with being such a beginner would I benefit as much as think from a Mastering Plug In like Ozone 9 ? I know i could definitely grow into it as well. I made that choice when i got my monitors and know i am set for a looong time =)

Thanks for any thoughts. How many of you master your own work yourself? Should i not take up my time with trying to master at all?

If i only have to spend $39 bucks every album for algorithm based mastering, that's not too bad either i guess.......

ozone 9 is amazing, i live & die by it (i now do my own mastering, and love it). there are benefits to having someone objective do your mastering, but... if you want to do it... you can use the 'master assist' function in ozone; then, the trick is to fine-tune your work by ear (&, imho, use the options, ie the spectral shaper, the imager, etc... with great care, and only if needed). mostly (i'd think), you want your mixes loud, clear, flat... present.

i have OZ9 advanced, but the basic one should work too.

landr was terrifying in the beginning (i imagine's gotten better); i'd want some control tho (or to have someone with some control) over the final master.

last, don't compress or limit your overall mix, and don't let the level get over about -6db... so ozone has 'space' to work with the dynamics.

have fun

A big +1 to Ozone 9 for doing your own mastering vs. LandR.

All the tools you need are there. It's a matter of learning what matters ;-)

I highly recommend the iZotope video series "Are You Listening?" which is all about mastering from a what and why as opposed to which tool. Yes, it does have an iZotope "slant" to it, but excellent resources.

I suspect you will be happier learning what matters and not letting LandR take your money for 'software-assisted mastering' which is exactly what you can get from Ozone 9.

• 2 months later...