How will an iMac 27” Intel i5, 3.7 GHz with 512 GB SSD perform with Logic Pro?

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum since and I came here because I love logic and love discussing workflows and tips and tricks but mostly due to that I’m currently looking to buy a new iMac 27” (2019 if nothing new is released before) and switch the fusion drive to 512 GB SSD, upgrade ram to 32 GB myself, rest just base high end model.

I hope you guys can help me out with this.

I record synth, drum machines, bass, guitar and vocals.

Barely ever use a virtual instrument even though they they’re really good now days (so not impossible I’ll start using one or two tracks in the future but let’s focus on the present).

I have an Apollo x8 and it’s good but I feel it’s a bit overkill for me, I write and produce sounds /often write and produce at the same time) but last years I haven’t finished a single song, Logic slows down as the project grows, my head gets tired etc..

And most and foremost I want to get back to how I worked before, when I had an interface that maybe had a mixer but I barely used it and instead I worked with plugins (such as eq, compression etc.) in my daw (even at production stage).

I really want to only work in Logic, no flickering between windows unless I’m doing some routing or such and I feel that the Apollo might not be the right interface for these preferences, we’ll see with Luna and all but I don’t think it’s for me and I’ll probably start another thread or see if there’s a thread already I could bring my discussion to.

But back to the purchase of a new Mac.

A year ago I started thinking about maybe going to a stationary computer because my MacBook Pro is loud, doesn’t always handle the pressure I put on it.

So when the 15” MacBook Pro 2019 was updated (before the 16”) and still had butterfly keyboard and lots of throttling I decided I’d go for an iMac and have been planning on getting one but want someone to “confirm” that it will do the job of handling 20-40 tracks with some plugins and an audio channel with a (cpu-friendly) reverb on it etc during tracking / production.

I’ve discussed getting the i9 and it’s a bit over my budget but I’d I understand it right the i9 isn’t really worth it due to heat issues and throttling and I’m not paying that much cash for a slight performance increase, louder noise and risk of the computer breaking down due to heat (heard it happened to someone with an i9).

I don’t need the portability of the MacBook Pro 16”

But it is really nice, having seem quite or them at work etc. I can’t buy a computer based on looks though but if it is the same performed or even better but without the nice screen I might have to rethink getting an iMac because my main mission with getting it is getting a more powerful computer than my current MacBook Pro 15” from 2015 and to be able to get a new interface if I decide to do so and using the new computer with it and using plugins in my daw again and software monitor them and still having very low latency and using low buffer settings (hasn’t really ever been an issue for me but I don’t use that many plugins and not very powerful either.

Let me know if you’re wondering anything else. Would really appreciate your help here! Thanks!

I really want to only work in Logic, no flickering between windows unless I’m doing some routing or such and I feel that the Apollo might not be the right interface for these preferences

I have an Apollo and I never use Console. Do everything in Logic with software monitoring, buffer at 32 when recording.

But I love the UA plugins when mixing. You're gonna loose that when going to another interface.

The Apollo is a great interface with good preamps and converters. I would stick with it. Anything comparable won't be cheaper.

I’ve discussed getting the i9 and it’s a bit over my budget but I’d I understand it right the i9 isn’t really worth it due to heat issues and throttling and I’m not paying that much cash for a slight performance increase, louder noise and risk of the computer breaking down due to heat

Slight increase in performance? The i9 destroys the i5.

The iMac with an i9 has no heat issues, is a monster powerhouse and very quiet. We have one at the studio. Heat issues and throttling only concern the 15-inch laptops.