fixing a boxy vocal...

am mixing a pop song for a female singer. on the verses track... the vocal has some recording issues (neumann mic notwithstanding); i didn't record this btw!.

there's a slight hum, and the overall sound is boxy. any suggestions? am playing with eq, a multiband compressor (both fabfilter plugins). it's much better, but thought to ask the brilliant people on this forum for any suggestions. i can deal with the hum, but how do i get the vocal 'out of the box'?...

Boxy usually means "prominent delay/early reflections of a smaller than small room (aka telephone booth. oops - how many folks around here still know these ? )". Not much you can do. The ear/brain is supersensitive in resolving this kind of clue. If anything, you can try to tame the room modes (resonances) that come with a tiny chamber. These go as low as

333 / height (or length or width, in meters) / 2

So a cuboid room with 2,5m x 1m x 1,5m would likely have peaky resonances (or sometimes the opposite, a sound well) at 66,6Hz (and multiples), 166,5Hz (and multiples) and 111Hz ( and multiples). If these or similar are present, cut them drastically, with high Q.

The other part are the actual reflections and there is nothing you can do about that.

it's something else; i have a number of vocal tracks (for a number of songs) from this singer, but this track sound different, like she put a carboard box around the mic. anyway, will definitely explore those specific frequencies, and see what i can do (all of this is saner than trying to get another recording... sigh...). thanx!