Does anyone know the extent of "Control" that the Launchpad X offers inside Logic?

Hello everyone! I published this post on reddit (Novation community) originally but I supposed that maybe some of you guys could help me out as well, since we're all on Logic. Thanks!

I currently own an MPC Live and I'm running Logic on a top-tier Macbook Pro, Late 2018.

It would be very helpful if you guys could help me in determining if I should buy a Launchpad X for my Logic rig or not. The reason for this post is that I'm fairly dissatisfied with the workflow on my MPC, since it was a large investment that I made without extensive knowledge of how it operates. I've concluded in the last 6 months of using the MPC daily that it really doesn't integrate well with Logic. I also came to realize that I don't enjoy the MPC Software or Standalone workflow as I'm a Logic guy and always have been, so I tried to integrate it as best as I could. Currently I use it in standalone mode with MIDI cables (since I don't like the plugin mode) to:

- Trigger drum samples/finger drum using my plugins (Battery 4 and Logic's DMD)

- Play the pads in "pad perform mode", which allows me to play scale correct chords and notes according to what scale I select in the hardware

- Play sample chops that I made in Logic using the new Quick Sampler which makes sampling 10x faster for me than using the MPC sampler

So basically I'm using the MPC as a generic pad controller for my Logic workflow because I just don't have a use for its more extensive capabilities, especiallly since Logic 10.5 is so powerful in the sampling department. The samples in the MPC are GREAT but I don't want to work with audio regions and it's impossible to record midi for more than one instance of the MPC plugin, which is a bummer for me. So I just use Native Instruments and Splice stuff instead.

TLDR; Apologies for the long introduction, my question is: As of Logic 10.5 and Launchpad X official integration, do you guys know what can be done with the Launchpad inside of Logic OTHER than using it for the Live Loops section? Can the Launchpad be used to:

- Fingerdrum in tracks mode and assign specific notes to the pads so it triggers my instruments correctly? Is it possible to save MIDI mapping presets?

- Control the Logic transport?

- Play scales and/or chord modes into my virtual instruments so that I don't have to write my chords in piano roll or worry about performing in key?

- Do these features come pre-mapped? If not, what features come pre-mapped except for the Live Loops?

I've been researching the Launchpad extensively since I loved the Live Loops feature but I'm just not sure if the amazing features that are possible in Ableton are also possible in Logic and I would really like to know what the limitations would be in Logic. I'm pretty much trying to get as close as possible to the Ableton Push experience inside Logic and since there's no dedicated controller available yet, the Launchpad seems to be the closest thing out right now.

Thank you very much for your time and sorry for the long post.

Hello!

I will give you my two cents as a Launchpad X + Logic user, who has been using those two in combination since 2 weeks.

As soon as 10.5 went out and I read about the Launchpad X integration, I decided to give it a go and went straight to the music shop. I've had no previous experience with any sort of pad controllers. As you could imagine, I'm more of a linear guy. Live loops were the thing that got me into it. Also the option to control and record phrases into cells is so handy for me and was a fresh rethink of workflow.

Anyway, the first thing you have to bear in mind is that you need to physically rotate 90' clockwise the Launchpad X so it could present Live Loops grid vertically. This may not seem much at first, but all the labels will be sideways and most importantly, in Note mode you won't be able to use the Scales as intended(since the layout will be 90' CW). I've contacted Novation and asked them to push a firmware update for us LPX users and they told me they are considering it, but also sent me Custom Mappings for Logic Keys and Logic Drum Grid that I could load to Custom Modes at least for access to keys and accurate drum pad.

You can use an app called Components to customize the 4 slots. It looks like that and you can assign custom Program Changes, CC, Notes, Sliders and more. You can also save, recall, delete and manage layouts. You don't have any transport button on the interface of Launchpad X, but you can use custom mapping and Logic key commands to achieve that. Auto mapping it to Logic was so easy.

imRiWfe.png

You can set scales and modes. The available scales are:

Major

Minor

Dorian

Phrygian

Mixolydian

Melodic Minor

Harmonic Minor

BeBop

Blues Scale

Minor Pentatonic

Hungarian Minor

Ukranian Dorian Mode

Marva

Todi

Whole Tone Scale

Hirajoshi

There is no functionality to automap chords. Launchpad X has no option to trigger chords with a single pad. But you can always use Chord Trigger as a MIDI FX insert on your track. Or you could use Scaler 2 or any of the other software options for that matter.

Other than the Live Loop control, you can switch Session View(Live Loops) to Mixer View and control Volume, Pan, Send 1, Send 2, Clip Mute, Track Mute, Track Solo and Record Enable. You can also navigate the Live Loops horizontaly and verticaly with the four arrow buttons on your Launchpad X.

I'm using it along with my MIDI keyboard, more like a supplement and I can say I'm really happy with it. It's light, bus powered, pads have great response and are of really nice quality. Another cool feature is that you get some software with it. Live Lite, 2 months Splice subscription, Roli Studio Player and Studio Drums(the option to update is with huge discount), Melodics free content, Ampify Studio, Positive Grid Bias FX 2 LE, Applied Acoustics Systems Session Bundle.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions that I may help with.

Best,

V

Hello!

I will give you my two cents as a Launchpad X + Logic user, who has been using those two in combination since 2 weeks.

As soon as 10.5 went out and I read about the Launchpad X integration, I decided to give it a go and went straight to the music shop. I've had no previous experience with any sort of pad controllers. As you could imagine, I'm more of a linear guy. Live loops were the thing that got me into it. Also the option to control and record phrases into cells is so handy for me and was a fresh rethink of workflow.

Anyway, the first thing you have to bear in mind is that you need to physically rotate 90' clockwise the Launchpad X so it could present Live Loops grid vertically. This may not seem much at first, but all the labels will be sideways and most importantly, in Note mode you won't be able to use the Scales as intended(since the layout will be 90' CW). I've contacted Novation and asked them to push a firmware update for us LPX users and they told me they are considering it, but also sent me Custom Mappings for Logic Keys and Logic Drum Grid that I could load to Custom Modes at least for access to keys and accurate drum pad.

You can use an app called Components to customize the 4 slots. It looks like that and you can assign custom Program Changes, CC, Notes, Sliders and more. You can also save, recall, delete and manage layouts. You don't have any transport button on the interface of Launchpad X, but you can use custom mapping and Logic key commands to achieve that. Auto mapping it to Logic was so easy.

imRiWfe.png

You can set scales and modes. The available scales are:

Major

Minor

Dorian

Phrygian

Mixolydian

Melodic Minor

Harmonic Minor

BeBop

Blues Scale

Minor Pentatonic

Hungarian Minor

Ukranian Dorian Mode

Marva

Todi

Whole Tone Scale

Hirajoshi

There is no functionality to automap chords. Launchpad X has no option to trigger chords with a single pad. But you can always use Chord Trigger as a MIDI FX insert on your track. Or you could use Scaler 2 or any of the other software options for that matter.

Other than the Live Loop control, you can switch Session View(Live Loops) to Mixer View and control Volume, Pan, Send 1, Send 2, Clip Mute, Track Mute, Track Solo and Record Enable. You can also navigate the Live Loops horizontaly and verticaly with the four arrow buttons on your Launchpad X.

I'm using it along with my MIDI keyboard, more like a supplement and I can say I'm really happy with it. It's light, bus powered, pads have great response and are of really nice quality. Another cool feature is that you get some software with it. Live Lite, 2 months Splice subscription, Roli Studio Player and Studio Drums(the option to update is with huge discount), Melodics free content, Ampify Studio, Positive Grid Bias FX 2 LE, Applied Acoustics Systems Session Bundle.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions that I may help with.

Best,

V

Thank you my friend, your answer was very thorough and helpful! I will consider my options based on the info you gave me. Best regards!

I've contacted Novation and asked them to push a firmware update for us LPX users and they told me they are considering it, but also sent me Custom Mappings for Logic Keys and Logic Drum Grid that I could load to Custom Modes at least for access to keys and accurate drum pad.

V

Thanks for the great review! Would you mind posting that Custom Mappings file here?

Best,

Mark