Real Mixing/Mastering

uh, what?

Mixing and Mastering should be done by a 3rd party.

Too many times I've mixed thinking everything is clear when it's not.

After watching that video, he clearly knows his craft.

you mean, we can't do what we want? i LOVE mixing, and now, am mastering my own work (in ozone)... and love that, too. we should do what we want (as long as we accept the consequences)... which, to be fair, means you can do what you want too... and have someone else mix your music. whatever works 8-)

Mixing and Mastering should be done by a 3rd party.

Too many times I've mixed thinking everything is clear when it's not.

After watching that video, he clearly knows his craft.

you mean, we can't do what we want? i LOVE mixing, and now, am mastering my own work (in ozone)... and love that, too. we should do what we want (as long as we accept the consequences)... which, to be fair, means you can do what you want too... and have someone else mix your music. whatever works 8-)

For me, that doesn't work.

I hear everything because I know everything I recorded, but when I let others listen to it, it's always the same, hey, this instrument/solo is too low I can't hear it.

For me, it's better to get another set of ears (engineer) to mix it properly.

I'm currently researching that now.

For me, that doesn't work.

I hear everything because I know everything I recorded, but when I let others listen to it, it's always the same, hey, this instrument/solo is too low I can't hear it.

For me, it's better to get another set of ears (engineer) to mix it properly.

I'm currently researching that now.

the music is the bottom line, and whatever it takes to get it right, is right. have fun!

I do think that it helps to get "another set of ears involved," because by the time you get to your "end of the project" moment, you've been listening to the damned thing :shock: for so long that your ears are tired of it. Or maybe, "they know it too well." You're just no longer capable of hearing it as an audience would.

Whether that "another set of ears" is actually a pro mastering engineer for your soon-to-be top-ten single, or simply "another(!) set of ears" for your purely-personal brainstorm, that person hasn't "been listening to it over and over again for the last eight weeks." Their approach will be much fresher, and much closer to that of a brand-new fan who will soon be listening for the very first time.

sure, that makes sense.

but am happy with my workflow, as i feel i know exactly what i want the final master to sound like. i find myself going back & forth a bit, between the final mix and the master (logic & ozone 9), until i get everything 'just right'.

if you know what you want your final work to sound like, it can be greatly rewarding to get it there. but, full disclosure, i have a pro engineer friend who will check my masters, often make suggestions.

so, yes... perspective does have value. but choosing how we make our music is of great value too.

awwwe man ! i need a pro engineer friend ! fisherking, do you tend to send everything you master for double checking?. I am in ozone self mastering camp here

i generally send him masters before i release them (i DO pay him something for this). he makes suggestions, i tweak things(sometimes in logic, sometimes in ozone). some outside perspective is a good thing, but (to be honest), am not changing anything radically.

it's all music, ALL subjective. i mean, if you really want the bass on the right, and the vocal 10 times louder than the music... that's (probably) ok.

(actually, it's not) :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...