Control Surface (Or Not), Motorized vs Non-Motorized Faders

Hi there. I've been reading a lot and watching videos about this and I'm still pretty confused.

Really sorry if I ask something already answered. I've looked for it and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

At the moment, I do everything in the box in Logic, except for playing a midi keyboard and electric bass. I don't have physical keyboards with sounds.

I miss being able to mess with controls while playing virtual synths, as well as trying on the spot the interactions of two parameters changing at the same time, for instance two sends on a channel. You can't do that on real time with a mouse or a trackpad, at least not that I know of.

So a control surface seems the logical solution.

My first consideration is compatibility with Logic Pro, having templates with pre assigned functions, and being able to define my own assignments and even saving and recalling them.

I'm not interested in having a bunch of physical buttons to duplicate key commands in Logic, that would be redundant.

My second consideration would be motorized vs. non motorized faders.

I think that if I'm smart enough while using the different automation modes (trim, relative) and a good screen resolution, I could get away without motorized faders.

On top of that, the one that fits my max budget, the X-Touch 1, has been criticized for having noisy faders.

So, do I need a control surface? Non motorized or motorized faders? Which one?

Thanks in advance!

As you mentioned it, there are things you can only do with a control surface. Those published in the control surface help are understandably well supported within Logic.

I would not recommend anything else than motorized faders and rotary encoders. The static faders and stop knobs become rapidly useless when switching between plugins or tracks...

If you are short on budget, you could opt for modular ones.