New iMac arrived - Joy didn't last long

My new 27" iMac arrived today, I had ordered it less than a week ago. 8-core i9 processor (9th generation), 2TB SSD drive. Fantastic piece of kit.

I unpacked and set it up. Grand. I opened the Apple website on it and what do I find?

A brand new 10th generation iMac is now for sale. I put in the configuration I ordered and guess what?

The newer, better specification iMac works out cheaper than I just paid for mine.

I feel cheated.

I mean I spoke to Apple people on the phone when I placed my order to make sure I got the best spec I could and at no point did anyone say 'oh btw, there's a newer, better version being released tomorrow'.

I just spent in excess of 4 grand and I feel that I just fell for an internet scam. I should be on a buzz with my new machine but I'm not going to get that feeling back.

Alan.

For this very reason I don't keep checking prices one I got anything. It's a psychological thing, purely inside your head. The computer is the same one you were hyped about two days ago. Not a thing has changed. There was to be a newer, better, cheaper machine, you knew that. You just didn't know when. Now you do. What did you expect from the dealer ? A better deal for *you* ? Seriously ? Or the chance for him to get higher provision and the opportunity to clear shop space for the new iMac coming in ?

Get working already and earn money with what you got.

@Christian

Oh I know it's a great machine. It is precisely what I budgeted for and ordered. I had planned on it serving me for the next 5 years (anything beyond is the cherry on top). At that point I figured we would see how the Apple Chip Macs are doing (or whatever is the next thing in 5 years time).

It is over spec'd for my needs at the moment so plenty of time and space to grow into it. This is what I had planned, this is what I Know.

However, what I posted was how I FEEL. It was a purely emotional reaction to what I had come across, that's all.

I will recover in a while, I have already regained my composure considerably. I think I just needed to vent at that moment, thanks for indulging me.

I am in the process of manually transferring all my music programmes to the Mac.

@ triplets

That was my first reaction - pack it back up and send it back. Then I started to reason with myself as I stated above.

It was a knee jerk reaction, the iMac is a beauty, it won't be going anywhere. TBH if a new Mac had come out 6 months after I bought this I wouldn't have cared in the slightest.

It was just that the new one came out before my one even arrived at my house.

All is well again,

Alan.

Hello, i have a question about this iMac, i will post it there if anyone know?

Do the 27 inch released today will still have the four memory slots user accessible ?

It doesn't look like a redesign. You can kinda tell from the pictures at the Apple product page, that the memory lid is still above the IAC connector.

Better check with Appleinsider.com or similar sites once they review it.

It is never the perfect time to buy a computer.

A better one is always around the corner.

Buy one when you need one and don't look back.

Enjoy the 2019 iMac. We have one in the studio and it's a monster!

this. plus, apple never pre-announces these things, so the apple people you spoke to can't tell you "a new imac is coming". otherwise, as pointed out, you can return it, buy a new one. then, next year when the ARM imacs happen, and there's an actual redesign, you can feel bad once again... :mrgreen: