New iMac - 8 Core i7 vs 10 Core i9

Hi All,

I've decided to upgrade my existing iMac and would love to get some thoughts from the community on the most practical processor options.

I'm weighing up the 2 processors below and whether I'd benefit from the 10 core version in Logic.

Option 1: 3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz

Option 2: 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor with Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz

I've always bought the top spec in processors but realise this may be more than I need this time around.

The work I do can get quite busy and I often use a decent amount of software instruments and 3rd party plugins. I also prefer not to freeze or bounce individual tracks where possible.

I have a general understanding of processors, but am sure there's plenty of people on this forum that will know a lot more than I do!

To simplify my question, I'm essentially asking "Are the 2 additional cores in the 10 core version worth the 0.2Ghz drop in clock speed you get from the 8 core version?"

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Same dilemma here... will listen in for any advice. I fear that the i9 might become so hot that fan noise will be audible

The IMac has better heat management than a laptop. So unless you put the mic right next to the computer, you’re not gonna hear the fans going.

We use an i9 in the studio and its silent.

Thanks. Gonna wait a while until real people have done some real testing in Logic :-) just saw the OWC tear down of this thing and not a lot has been put into cooling of the CPU it seems. Also curious to see if some tear down will reveal that you could upgrade the CPU your self!

I’m still debating with my self if I should wait for the Apple Si or stay with Intel.

Oh, Lawdie Lawd! So it's down to this?

I'm having a VERY hard time getting Mojave to boot on my main MacPro Classic. Like a week in update hell. I'm so depressed I'm looking at new macs, and I guess the new iMac i9 beats a stripped new MacPro at $6k. SAD.

Hey, Waidaminut! There are NO USB 3 ports on this iCuisinart? Those "USB-A" look like USB 2.0. WTF? So you have 2 USB-C /TB3 ports (connect 2 monitors). And that's all she wrote. You can get splitters on a USB-C for 2 x 4k/60 but MacOS does not support anything but mirroring that way? So for a normal extended desktop, you HAVE to consume both of the USB-C ports !?! And now where do you connect your jungle of external USB3 drives? So I'm looking at the Minis. Those got more ports. But no GPU. Oh, I see, you need to get a Pro, at $6k for little more than a chassis w/ a basic CPU and Video Card. HUH???

There are NO USB 3 ports on this iCuisinart? Those "USB-A" look like USB 2.0. WTF?

Relax, Apple put USB 3 ports on all its computers in 2012.

Yep - should be no issue with USB 3.

I've also got a 2TB USB-C SSD on the way for my sample libraries - looking forward to seeing how this compares with my current 7200RPM USB drive.

By standard practice USB 3 sockets have a blue insert, the USB 2 have white or anything but blue. This is universally respected on flash drives, cables, computers. USB 2 is much cheaper and less power-hungry by far, so it's not disappearing from motherboards. Even Teslas use USB 2 ports. It wouldn't be a good choice, but its not impossible.

Where can we confirm 100% that those 4 "USB-A" ports on 2019/2020 iMacs are USB 3, and if so, are they 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2?

Where can we confirm 100% that those 4 "USB-A" ports on 2019/2020 iMacs are USB 3, and if so, are they 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2?

This is the USB Bus structure from my 2012 15-inch MBP, which by the way doesn't have the blue plastic on the 2 ports on the side, which are USB 3.

It's the same on every iMac, macbook, mac mini since 2012.

I'm not in front of the i9 in the studio, but trust me, it's the same if not better.

2082817571_ScreenShot2020-08-11at5_27_23PM.thumb.png.bb58c679d39b4cdb957c74bde5bb2ed0.png

The i7 Mac Mini is a great option if you don't want all-in-ones.

You never know with Apple, especially if the Mac Mini they gave developers already has an A13 in it.

It's probably the machine we will be upgrading to once we retire the good ol' 2010 mac pro that we've been using in the studio for the last 6 years.

I've been using mine since 2009, and gave it all the necessary hardware updates.

Probably the best Mac Apple has ever done.

Thanks, @triplets. I just got Mojave shoehorned in on my main 2009 4,1->5,1. That was a battle, and Catalina might be rougher. Had to do a blank slate install.

Now I have to see how smartly the (unfamiliar 2 me) Migration Assistant will bring stuff over from the old High Sierra boot SSD. Hopefully without whatever was preventing an 13.6 -> 14.6 update-in-place from booting.

If you just copy and then run the Logic Pro X.app executable will it rebuild all its ancillary files/folders?

But I expected the low level "will not boot with two 4k/60hz displays connected" bug to be solved by Boot Rom 144.0.0.0. Apparently not. That means either running the 2 monitors in DP1.1 for 4k/30, or flipping the BIOS switch on the 7950 to the PC position and booting blind. Once it's all set up, that's fine, though not much fun during OS installs. Still, it all beats tossing $6-7k for something just a little better, and obsolescent.

I remember how disappointed I was when Apple abandoned the superior Motorola 68000 family for the PowerPC. And then treason #2 to Intel. Now is that #3 ? Are these new chips looking good to you?

Dual 3.46 Ghz 6 core Xeon 2009 mac Pro going strong with 64 gb RAM and 24 threads.

20191230_024258_HDRL.thumb.jpg.c96b0316b0a27f03d2a712cad4ae5458.jpg