How do you store your samples?

Hi All,

I have a new iMac arriving today (10 core i9, 40GB RAM, 512GB internal SSD) and am considering moving my sample libraries to SSD's from their current 7200RPM HDD's. The drives I'm looking at are 2.5" SATA seagate, Samsung, western digital or crucial. Purpose here is to minimise load times so I can be more efficient in auditioning and loading these libraries.

The libraries/programs I own are:

Komplete 12 Collectors (Kontakt, Battery, Maschine all used)

Omnisphere 2

IK Syntronik

IK Sampletank 4

Nexus 3

BFD 3

SSD 5

UVI Workstation

Spitfire

XLN Audio Keys

Logic Content

I'm thinking about going for a 2TB SSD and just putting everything on there, or alternatively, just going for a 1TB SSD and keeping samples that don't necessarily need SSD (like nexus) on the 7200RPM HDD.

I'm also considering keeping Omnisphere 2 on my internal as I've opted for a larger internal SSD and feel I may get faster load/preview times here than from an external SSD.

Would love to hear your opinions and advice on what you might do in the same scenario?

My 2 cents for best performance (and less fuss):

1 - SSD drives all the way!

2 - Privilege internal drives as they are faster than external (even for SSD) ones. 512GB...hmmm!?

3 - Use external drives for storing your projects (with assets).

4 - Use your mechanical drive for backup purpose.

5 - Considering the size of your library, which will likely grow, 2TB is definitely not luxury.

My 2 cents for best performance (and less fuss):

1 - SSD drives all the way!

2 - Privilege internal drives as they are faster than external (even for SSD) ones. 512GB...hmmm!?

3 - Use external drives for storing your projects (with assets).

4 - Use your mechanical drive for backup purpose.

5 - Considering the size of your library, which will likely grow, 2TB is definitely not luxury.

Thanks for the response!

I'm leaning towards the 2TB SSD for the sample library.

I'm interested to hear what everyone is doing to store/record their projects too. I've always recorded to external drives but have seen that some people are using their internals to record (providing they have enough space) and archiving on externals. Does anyone have any insight to add here?

i store my samples in an industrial freezer, with a massive padlock, in an underground vault... in an undisclosed location.

seriously, wherever you store them, back up! if it's an external drive, make sure the content you need there is part of your backup strategy.

Words of wisdom... (the second part)

i store my samples in an industrial freezer, with a massive padlock, in an underground vault... in an undisclosed location.

seriously, wherever you store them, back up! if it's an external drive, make sure the content you need there is part of your backup strategy.

Words of wisdom... (the second part)

i kinda think it's the first part.... 8-)

My sample library drive is actually the only thing I don't back up :|

Everything else is backed up in at least two locations (including the installers for the libraries)

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up ordering a 2TB SSD. My library takes up approx 1.3TB.

I've installed Omnisphere on the internal whilst I'm waiting and have noticed a big difference compared to running from the 7200RPM drive - previews are loading instantly.

Back them up, and buy as many of them as you need. They're cheap, and multiple drives can be attached to a single "hub." I keep them in a fire-safe box ... partly so I won't lose 'em. Probably best to copy the data that you're actually working with back to the internal drive/SSD for use.

Buy removable shipping-labels and plainly label each drive for convenience.

One always-attached drive should be running Time Machine all the time. If you finish a major step, save everything and click "Back Up Now." Patiently wait while it is all completely stored away.

I have my samples on a Thunderbolt RAID. RAID 5 - which still gives you a significant speed up, and will let you recover any drive which may fail.. I record my song projects on 2015 Mac Pro 1TB SSD.. When project is finished, I clean it up and save on RAID set-up and a 2nd version on another hard drive. I have never had an instance where RAID could not keep up with Logic, and gives me a lot more space. I have two RAIDS, a 24 TB, and 32 TB set-up.