How to use computer-speakers + soundcard

Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I just can't wrap my head around this, and I suspect there is an easy solution.

I have an iMac, and a Steinberg UR44-soundcard:

How do I get the soundcard to use the built-in speakers of the computer, while having Logics input+output device set to the soundcard? I've been using a speaker connected to "phones" on the soundcard - which works great, but it would be amazing if I could do the same with the computer-speakers.

1324494170_Screenshot2020-08-25at11_09_53.thumb.png.fe620df7804965579a1934247f19d273.png

Just select built-in as output device in Logic’s preferences.

Thank you for answering!

But the thing is that I want to control which output I use from the soundcard, so I can switch between different speakers without changing the output-device in Logics settings everytime.

• 1 month later...
The soundcard doesn't know of the existence of the computer's loudspeakers, nor can it have any access to them.

What you can do is build an Aggregate Device in Audio-MIDI-Setup so you get two more outputs in Logic.

Does that mean that Logic can "output" sound to both the soundcard and the computer-speakers at the same time?

Edited by haubanhof

• 2 weeks later...
You have one more pair of outputs in Logic. This is the computer's speakers. Once you route something there, it will pop up in the Mixer.

I'm not sure what you mean.

How do I route something to the computer's speakers when I have to have Multi-Output Device as my output?

Like this:

output.gif

If your interface has 8 outputs, an aggregate device that combines that interface and the built-in audio will have 8 + 2 outputs, so Out 9-10 is you computer's speakers.

Hmm I must be doing something wrong. By the way, I no longer use the Steinberg soundcard, but an Apollo Twin if that makes any difference. This is how things are set up at the moment:

1. The soundcard is set as Master Device in the Multi-Output Device in Audio MIDI Setup.

2. Multi-Output Device is set as output device in Logic.

3. I have a track within Logic set to output 5-6.

I've tried to rearrange this setup as well, but I must have misunderstood something on the way. Thank you so much for your help with the gif and all, I appreciate it a lot!

I have a track within Logic set to output 5-6.

So I assume that the Apollo has Outputs 1-4, right ? And I also assume that you have selected Built-In Audio *Out* as the second device in the Aggregate Device, right ?

There are several built in output options, depending on the computer model you have. Make sure you use the one that actually goes to the computer speakers.

• 1 month later...