Choosing the right MacBook Pro and file storage system

Go to solution Solved by triplets,

Hello,

This question may have been covered before so please redirect me if so, essentially there are two issues here that are linked and I imagine there are different points of view - would love to hear from someone that really knows Apple Macs.

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012, 16gb ram, crucial ssd 512gb, running Catalina. I’ve had good mileage from it but want to upgrade soon. I have LPX and Ableton Live installed on my HD and all my projects, third party Plugins and all my samples on the HD (very old projects are stored on an external HD). I have very little else on my HD except a few documents here and there.

Firstly, which MacBook Pro is worth buying?

I would like a faster machine, I’ve heard different opinions about whether the new mbps are actually faster than older Mbp versions with upgraded ram/ssd. Can you really notice the performance of the newer Apple processors? Which year is worth upgrading to and are there pitfuls?

I own LPX, ableton live and other third party plugins, but do have a few cracked bits which people shared with me a long time ago that I still have installed- this isn’t crucial I can get rid of them but heard newer macs don’t like them, however my understanding is that it’s the OSX not the machines and you can change the privacy and security settings to allow apps from third parties?

Secondly, what is the most efficient way of storing my projects?

It seems the best thing is to keep the applications on the HD but maybe transfer all the projects and samples to a fast external HD/or SSD?

I’ve enjoyed having all my projects and samples etc on my hd because I don’t need an external disc to work, this is better for flexibility, accessibility etc. I’ve also had external HDs quit so it seems more unreliable - maybe I just need a higher end one?

Having more space on my HD would also then in theory help my laptop work faster as they generally perform much better with more space.

basically I’d like to not worry about my cpu maxing out all the time, but also have a reliable set up. I don’t Necessarily need the latest Mac but also don’t want a machine that is going to age, so I’m trying to find the right balance.

This is a bit of a long post I’m aware, but it’s an important one. Ultimately I respect the opinion of the members on this forum for questions like this, than elsewhere online, I’ve learnt a lot reading LPH over the years.

Many thanks in advance for your time

• Solution
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012

Which one? There's a big difference between 13 and 15 inch in CPU power.

What's your budget? Do you have a screen preference? 13, 15 or 16 inch?

I would like a faster machine, I’ve heard different opinions about whether the new mbps are actually faster than older Mbp versions with upgraded ram/ssd. Can you really notice the performance of the newer Apple processors?

Here's a comparison between 15 inch MBPs with i7 chips, one from 2012, 2016 and 2018:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-intel-macs&highlight=0&prod1=MacBookPro059&prod2=MacBookPro101&prod3=MacBookPro114

Look at the Geekbench 4 scores for SC (single-core) and MC (multi-core) to give you an idea of CPU power.

Changing the SSD drive or adding more Ram is a small part of the performance of a laptop.

Amount of cores, type of CPU, Ram speed and graphics card contribute a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion right now, unless you really need it - none.

Intel's are on their way out, and Apple Silicon are only entry level.

Can you really notice the performance of the newer Apple processors?

Yes, and it will become much more apparent as 3rd party devs start supporting it.

Which year is worth upgrading to and are there pitfuls?

see above

and you can change the privacy and security settings to allow apps from third parties?

Yes.

Secondly, what is the most efficient way of storing my projects?

Internal SSD, or external NVMe SSD via thunderbolt 3. These two options are the fastest, and depending on which external NVMe it is, roughly the same, so you lose no performance by going TB3/NVMe external. (You gain some because you have double the throughput - so 2.5gb/s system drive and 2.5gb/s external)

It seems the best thing is to keep the applications on the HD but maybe transfer all the projects and samples to a fast external HD/or SSD?

Doesn't matter if you have thunderbolt 3 external drives, just have the load balanced so none of the drives are more than 80% full.

maybe I just need a higher end one?

Yes, it improves performance dramatically. My TB3/NVMe external is so fast there's no difference whether i work from internal or external.

Having more space on my HD would also then in theory help my laptop work faster as they generally perform much better with more space.

As long as you keep 20% free, you're good

basically I’d like to not worry about my cpu maxing out all the time, but also have a reliable set up. I don’t Necessarily need the latest Mac but also don’t want a machine that is going to age, so I’m trying to find the right balance.

Depends on your needs, but i'd wait if i were buying now, unless absolutely necessary. Given how the 13" perform, the 16" will absolutely slay when they come out.

If i was in dire need of a new one, i'd get a 2nd hand stop-gap macbook and wait for new apple silicon ones.

it's for the beta and not relevant anymore unfortunately :)

You didn't read the latest posts on that thread, did you?

Fisherking:

updated my logic mac to big sur this morning (20 november)... and... (drum roll)... all is well. all 9 plugins that wouldn't load in an early beta all load without issue. i opened numerous projects, and all play. this is good news, as, officially, very few developers have formally okay'd things with big sur.

also continuing to work: fabfilter, izotope, nuance, phasemotion, pianoteq 7, shaperbox, sonalksis, soothe2, sublab, sylenth1, trackspacer, valhalla dsp, waves

so, am back to work, and i don't have to reinstall my cloned catalina backup... and am happy. any other big-sur related experiences, i will report here. 8-)

Ashermusic:

So you don’t use any Kontakt, EW Play, Engine or UVI Workstation stuff?

Des99:

Native Instruments sent out emails saying to users don't upgrade to Big Sur, their stuff isn't working yet.

Come on man, why do get so picky with my posts?

• 4 weeks later...

This is my dilemma and is a serious nightmare that haunts me.

I began music production before PC and Apple Mac using Amiga 500 and 600 with Octamed sequencer software hooked up with JD800 synth Yamaha Qy70 roland R8 drum machine akai 3000s sampler.

As technolgy evolved I moved to PC HP pavilion 2.4ghz Pentium 4 processor 512mb ram sound blaster audigy 2 with Logic pro platinum 5.1.

(Still using it now)

Then I soon wanted to upgrade but like Logic users at that time had to choose Windows or Apple if new logic was required 4 years sticking with logic 5.1 until 2008 purchased Macbook pro logic pro 8 but in 2014 it was victim to the famous gpu issue (Nvidia gate) back to Pentium 4 and Logic 5 until 2019 purchased a refurbished 2011 a1286 Macbook pro and last month blam boot up issue and welcome to the world of gpu this time Radeon gate.

Apple especially Macbook pro are over priced badly designed unventilated dust gathering heat boxes

Now I hate upgrading I like Logic pro x but now unsure what next.

My plan is get used Mac pro 5.1 (loads ebay due to logic 11 and OSX change) or build a Hackintosh and both work for me better still I never have it updated or online just wanna make tracks with like my Pentium 4 old faithful a machine with a shelf life.

Any advise on best way to carry on with Logic pro x on budget £600 less really especially any thing Apple gave them lots and disappointed I need LOGIC please