I'm Upgrading - Need Mac Mini (2018) Specs Advice

I currently use a late 2012 Mac Mini and I want to upgrade.

I'm planning to get a new 2018 i5 and I'll upgrade the RAM myself to 32 GB.

I'm not sure if the 512 GB is enough and was wondering if I should upgrade to 1 TB?

My current system has a 2 TB SSD and a 1 TB HDD.

I run all of my apps on the SSD as well as sound libraries (coming from Reaper to Logic).

I know I'll need some external drives but would 512 be sufficient for Logic, 3rd party plugins, Maschine, etc and then maybe start storing my music library, photos , etc on an external or should I bite the bullet and get a 1 TB?

I decided I don't have time to mess with the situation surrounding the M1.

I just placed an order for a new 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 with 1 TB storage.

Now to purchase 32 GB RAM, an external SSD or 2 and learn how to connect everything (going from a Late 2012 setup to this).

It depends on the ports you need.

I currently have 11 USB items connected.

I also have an OWC 2TB external drive connected for backup and my monitor via HDMI.

On the new machine, I will be utilizing a single 1TB Samsung SSD as well.

Regarding RAM - I was planning to upgrade to 32 GB but I'm wondering if I should bump that up to 64 GB?

I've read that 32 GB of RAM is perfectly fine for 95% of users and 64 GB would be a waste.

Does this sound accurate to those of you with experience in this area?

If you don’t use large orchestral libraries like I do, probably.

I found 64 GB for $218 so I just went ahead and ordered it.

I'm sure you know of the new 2020 Mac Minis that just came out?

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Yes, but 3rd party stuff is not going to be compatible for a while. I’ve heard it’s best to wait a couple of years.

I've just had exactly this problem, compounded by the introduction of Big Sur.

Decided to buy an Apple refurbished 2018 Mac Mini. Got the top spec processor, 32Gb RAM fitted (so no faffing around to fit third party RAM), Catalina and a year's guarantee, which is the same guarantee as a new one. And I saved a ton of money. (Several tons, actually, if a ton = £100).

I'm yet to own a refurbished desktop Mac that has keeled over before it's become obsolete anyway, so job's a good 'un. :wink: Now to spend what I've saved on a new controller keyboard.