13" MacBook Pro (Intel) 2.3 i7 (32GB) for larger Logic projects?

Hey guys

I've been using a MacBook Pro 16" for a couple of months in the studio. It performs well, but when connected to an external monitor, it gets ridiculously hot even during simple projects, and the fan noise is excessive - far beyond anything I've heard from any previous Mac during Logic sessions.

I've read that this is a problem with the 2019 MacBook Pro 16, due to the automatic switching to the dGPU whenever an external display is in use. The dGPU works hard even if there's no significant load, and drives temperature and fan noise up as a result. It appears there is no way to switch to the integrated GPU when using an external display.

So... I'm considering switching to a 13" MacBook Pro (2020). These only have integrated graphics, which, ironically means that using an external monitor will not make a shift to a dGPU, and hence the temperature and fans won't go off the charts.

My current 16" is specified with the 8-core i9 processor, and I went the whole way and got 64GB of RAM - intended, at the time of purchase, to future proof me for a few years.

If I move to a 13", I would be choosing the quad-core i7 processor (2.3GHz), and would of course need to opt for 32GB RAM, as 64GB doesn't exist. (As an aside, I won't be opting for an M1-equipped Mac, as RAM is limited to 16GB, and there are other limitations like number of ports, etc... of course, in 2 years or so, I will be making the jump to Apple silicon when the specs increase a little from a RAM and ports perspective.)

So... that's the background.

My question is this: is anyone using a 2020 MBP 13", similarly specced, for large projects using resource-heavy plugins like Superior Drummer, Spitfire orchestral samples, Omnisphere, etc?

If so, I would love to hear your experience running at low latencies (32 or 64 samples), when working on large projects using heavyweight plugins. Does your Mac's temperature stay under control? And therefore, are the fans relatively quiet? And crucially, are your projects running glitch-free?

Of course, if you've come from a 16" MacBook and made the move to the 13", I'd be really keen to hear your experience too!

Thanks guys, appreciate your input and thoughts as always.

Cheers,

Mike

It's pretty hard to tell if it would work for you specifically to be honest, for example how many instances of each of those plugins would you be running at once? I'd be inclined to say the 13" won't be powerful enough for you. Seems like a massive downgrade just to not get fan noise, not to mention the resale bath you're gonna take selling 2 near new intel macs in the space of a couple of years.

It's a tough one mate, you could always buy a 13" to try, copy your computer to it, try it out and send it back if it's the same result. I'd be inclined to think with what you're running the 13" is gonna be cranking its fans just from CPU usage anyway

Thanks heaps for sharing your thoughts!

I think you’re probably right to be honest... suspect that any gains in the way the GPU handles my external monitor will be lost as the smaller processor, with less thermal capacity, tries to keep up. Most of my projects are pretty RAM-dependent, as I usually work with sample sets like Spitfire and Omnisphere... so potentially as long as I had 32GB of RAM, I’d be OK with the 13” quad core... but equally, it’s really a big risk and a disruptive process too.

At this point, I’m probably better holding onto the 16”, putting up with the fan noise, and waiting until the higher-level M2(?) chipped MacBooks arrive next year.

Thanks again for your reply!

Mike

It's pretty hard to tell if it would work for you specifically to be honest, for example how many instances of each of those plugins would you be running at once? I'd be inclined to say the 13" won't be powerful enough for you. Seems like a massive downgrade just to not get fan noise, not to mention the resale bath you're gonna take selling 2 near new intel macs in the space of a couple of years.

It's a tough one mate, you could always buy a 13" to try, copy your computer to it, try it out and send it back if it's the same result. I'd be inclined to think with what you're running the 13" is gonna be cranking its fans just from CPU usage anyway

Thanks heaps for sharing your thoughts!

I think you’re probably right to be honest... suspect that any gains in the way the GPU handles my external monitor will be lost as the smaller processor, with less thermal capacity, tries to keep up. Most of my projects are pretty RAM-dependent, as I usually work with sample sets like Spitfire and Omnisphere... so potentially as long as I had 32GB of RAM, I’d be OK with the 13” quad core... but equally, it’s really a big risk and a disruptive process too.

At this point, I’m probably better holding onto the 16”, putting up with the fan noise, and waiting until the higher-level M2(?) chipped MacBooks arrive next year.

Thanks again for your reply!

Mike

Yup, exactly what I'd be thinking too!

I wouldn't not buy a new intel mac right now under any circumstance.

In fact, i just sold my 13" macbook pro intel :)

And i'm happy i didn't "future proof" mine two years ago, i've lost way less money in the process.

- M1 blows anything MacBook Pro intel away already

- 16GB on M1 is not equal to 16GB on intel

- M1 macs have two thunderbolt controllers. That means 80gbps total throughput. Intel macs (sans Mac Pro) have two thunderbolt controllers. 80gbps total throughput. You can get additional ports with OWC's Thunderbolt hub (yes, for the first time.)

Hey guys

I've been using a MacBook Pro 16" for a couple of months in the studio. It performs well, but when connected to an external monitor, it gets ridiculously hot even during simple projects, and the fan noise is excessive - far beyond anything I've heard from any previous Mac during Logic sessions.

Mike

Have you tried this app?

http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/

Helped me a lot