Updating a 2011 iMac from El Capitan to High Sierra.

Go to solution Solved by Totigerus,

I'm considering updating my 2011 iMac from El Capitan to High Sierra.

I want to do this to be able to update Logic from 10.2.4 to the latest version. (10.6.whatever).

The App store had an update for me for free a year ago, but I didn't do it out of fear of messing up my system and possibly slowing it down.

I guess I've changed my mind for various reasons.

So now my question is...where can I get a free and safe download?

I found one on didgetaltrends.com.

Are they a safe source?

Also, will this slow my computer down?

1644346127_ScreenShot2020-11-29at2_17_52AM.png.b4cdd0aff5607fd285cc65f16d8e5d91.png

OK, so I can't FULLY update Logic to 10.6.whatever, but maybe I can update it to the previous version? 10.5.whatever?

Does anyone know of a safe source for a High Sierra download?

I don't see it in the app store anymore.

I found a download on digetaltrends.com but...are they reputable?

I thought Apple used to provide earlier versions of their OS's on the app store.

I'm also trying to update my Waves plugs, and all this is tied into each other.

(I can't update anything without updating my OS first)

I followed your link David, and it says my iMac can be upgraded to High Sierra, which I already knew, but I just keep getting redirected to either blank iTunes or blank App Store pages when the links for High Sierra are listed.

Ah that's not good. :( I would try to contact Apple?

I followed your link David, and it says my iMac can be upgraded to High Sierra, which I already knew, but I just keep getting redirected to either blank iTunes or blank App Store pages when the links for High Sierra are listed.

Ah that's not good. :( I would try to contact Apple?

Ok will do!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple is gonna tell me my iMac is too old and they "don't support" such old OS's anymore.

*crosses fingers

A guy on YT said that it might be related to 32bit VS. 64bit 3rd party plugins compatibility.

That's easy enough to test. Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ and drag all those .component files to a new folder you create and name "Unused Components". Now try to start Logic?

Yeah I tried that already

no joy

Right.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow with Apple on the phone.

I have the email of the dude that was helping me today.

"Indy Bill" is his name.

But at least I am finally running the latest OS my old girl will handle now (high sierra)

Oh! and also, technically I did upgrade Logic to the most recent version my old girl will handle (10.4.8)

...so that's a step in the right direction!

For some reason, the App Store gave me an update for Logic that was not compatible with my OS.

I thought the whole point of the App Store was to avoid and control problems like this.

(OS 10.13.6. with Logic 10.4.8)

EDIT

Now they say my OS and Logic version ARE compatible, but every time I start to get somewhere with apple phone support, they hang up on me!

Does Apple not want to deal with such old hardwares/softwares?

EDIT EDIT

I will say though, that besides hanging up on me, the Apple phone Support people have been prettyyy, prettyyy, good.

Edited by Totigerus

Now they say it they ARE compatable, but every time I start to get somewhere with apple phone support, they hang up on me!

We are in 2020 and still don't seem to have figured out how to deal with multiple phone line systems with internal and external lines etc. This is often an issue, with many companies. I wouldn't take it personally. :lol:

Now they say it they ARE compatable, but every time I start to get somewhere with apple phone support, they hang up on me!

We are in 2020 and still don't seem to have figured out how to deal with multiple phone line systems with internal and external lines etc. This is often an issue, with many companies. I wouldn't take it personally. :lol:

I hear ya David

*sigh

I guess I'll try again tomoree

side note...

is Apple support 24/7?

side note...

is Apple support 24/7?

Yes… with AppleCare. Your computer will unfortunately be too old for that. Never had to deal with the phone line outside of AppleCare personally, so I'm not sure exactly what would happen if you just try to call…?

Well...so far I havn't called after 6pm PST, but I have time again today to try calling during "business hours" and see.

I was just wondering if Apple was like Waves Audio where they are "officially" business hours only, but in reality, they are 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...