New M1 machines: Connectivity and General Experience

Never seen this kind of weirdness before, but I didn't try Logic until 2007, long enough afterward for most of the kinks in the new Intel machines to be ironed out. I don't think the RME driver is quite right either. It keeps flipping from 44.1 to 48khz. I'm disappointed that the OS updates seems to have scrambled the Mini's brains for now. My new Mini will likely be before September, so I hope there's progress.

I think it's the driver that's switching the sample rate. I've noticed it happening when I play Civ VI. As for the rest, I don't think it's a 3rd party plugin because they were all functional before the latest OS updates. I'm going to have to post at RME and see what they make of it.

How about what Fisherking used to say? Resetting vram, etc? Trashing Logic’s preferences?

used to? i always suggest that. :mrgreen:

this is a bit different; the process for troubleshooting is different on the M1, and not sure those things will help, but, not having any experience with the new macs... trying some basic troubleshooting may not be a bad idea.

you need to access 'startup options' on the M1 to access the 'diagnostics loader'... you can google details.

Found this on the internet:

Unlike SMC, which no longer exists on M1 Macs, NVRAM exists, but it works differently.

The new Macs still have a kind of parameter memory whose settings you can view and change with the terminal command NVRAM, but there is no longer any command to reset the contents of NVRAM.

According to several sources, including the accessory manufacturer Caldigit and comments on Apple's support forum, which claims to have talked to Apple's support, the M1 processor tests NVRAM when the computer is started from shutdown (i.e. not after a normal reboot). If something is wrong with the memory, it is reset automatically.

We have so far not been able to test whether this means that the M1 Macs can "save themselves" from incorrectly set NVRAM values. We recommend that you take extra care if you make manual changes with the NVRAM tool.

An alternative is to start the Mac in recovery mode, start Terminal from the Tools menu and enter the command:

NVRAM -c

We have seen reports that the command may give an error message, but it should still work and the computer forgets, for example, the password of the connected wifi network.

Never seen this kind of weirdness before, but I didn't try Logic until 2007, long enough afterward for most of the kinks in the new Intel machines to be ironed out. I don't think the RME driver is quite right either. It keeps flipping from 44.1 to 48khz. I'm disappointed that the OS updates seems to have scrambled the Mini's brains for now. My new Mini will likely be before September, so I hope there's progress.

hm, i have no issues with RME.

you can also hold the power button in on startup, & you'll be taken to 'startup options'; then hold command-D, and you'll reboot into the 'diagnostics loader'...

I just made a template of all M1 native (Logic and Hive 2). Same behaviour with no software monitoring. All 3rd party stuff is out.

I am currently re-installing 11.4.

I will try your suggestion once that's done.

This is the first time I've had issues with an RME driver. It seems to flip when I play Civ VI.

Hope I haven't made things worse!

• 3 weeks later...

Since the input monitoring issue is gone, I've ordered my own machine, now that my wife needs her mini back. I've bought the 16gb/tb config, should be here next week. Right now, everything is running fine on my wife's machine, so it seems a good time get my machine, which I may add, is less than ½ price of my iMac.

I've also ordered a 32" LG monitor to go with it. Probably too big, but I need to see for myself. Hope I don't kick myself too hard for not waiting for the M1X mini.

• 2 weeks later...

So, at this point, I have the 16gb/1tb configured mini.

That is running with a 32" LG Ultrafine, which, while not as nice as a Retina display, is not too far away, and it is BIG. And fits perfectly on my desk. I use it at 1440 res because my old eyes have no other choice.

I am looking at upgrading Omnishere 1 because it's native. €184.

kontakt 5=>6 and I'll have everything running that was on my iMac. Another €99.

I've left about 250 gb on the external SSD, so my storage is around 730 gb left. Installed the Logic sounds and VSL SEs directly to the mini ssd.

As I mentioned, I think: we've bought two minis, the basic model for my wife with a 27" 4k monitor, the 'souped up' mini for my music production with a large, not cheap monitor, with two Applecares, for less than the cost of my late 2015 27" iMac. Reliability and longevity are my major concerns at this point,but there is of course concern about when 3rd party plugin makers are going to catch up. As things stand, I have a template with Intel stuff, and a template for native. The latter needs s'more stuff.