Apple MacMini M1

Comes next Wednesday for me.

I got the 16GB with the 1TB SSD

Since I already have a Intel MacMini and the AU Instruments/Effects run fine on it, for my M1 MacMini, I'm going to avoid using Rosetta 2 on it.

Does anyone know of a M1 Only AU Instrument/Effects list.

Not interested in Intel running on a M1, just M1 AU Instruments/Effects that run on a M1.

no. they've had delays. pisses me off since i rely a lot on them lol

At least they're not taking Steinbergs approach. They've said it can take 6-12 months to implement M1 support.

....but they're not doing anything yet as they can't justify the costs of development until more people own M1 hardware. So basically when there is a userbase they deem large enough, the 12 month timer will start. Not the most pro-active approach. :(

This page has a bit of info:-

https://www.toolfarm.com/news/apple-silicon-compatibility/

Seems like FabFilter are ahead of the game.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=556728&p=8007517&hilit=apple+silicon#p8007517

out of what I use, Melda, FabFilter, Reveal Sound, supposedly u-he has beta ready for M1.

Thanks to both for your lists.

The Kvraudio actually lists more of AU Instruments/Effects.

I knew about FabFilter because I got a email from them. Hopefully I'll get an email for other software venders that I purchased from regarding M1, otherwise I'll keep on eye on these lists.

Talking latency, Is there any possibility that USB audio latency will be better on M1 machines due to the architecture being so tightly integrated? I think it's only the Thunderbolt 4 controller that's within the M1 assembly though, right?

It's something i hadn't considered until reading Glenns post ^.

@64 samples on the iMac in my sig, roundtrip latency is 5.5 ms. On the M1 Mini, it's 4.9 ms.

Here's something I found out.

My Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard MB110LL/A isn't recognized by the M1.

Neither is my iconnectmidi2+ device.

Turns out that power is sent to these devices on my Intel MacMini, but not enough power is sent from the M1, my guess is the M1 tries to preservice power as much as it can.

So I have a Toshiba DynaDock and I know that DisplayLink doesn't have a driver for it for Apple Silicon, but I went ahead and plugged it in my USB-A port on the M1 and plugged my wired Apple keyboard and the iconnectmidi2+ to it and now both devices are seen on the M1.

I have ordered a new wired keyboard and that should be here today.

The second thing that's come up is I don't want to start Rosetta 2 on the M1, but I know certain AU Instruments do work with the M1, but here's the issue.

While the AU Instrument works just fine, the problem is the Installer program won't run unless Rosetta 2 gets installed.

I think software vendors should just create a Apple Silicon version of the software all the way to the installer program

I actually had a way to extract from a PKG file, if the PKG file is created by Apple, turns out that way still works and I was able to extract my two FabFilter effects, Volcano 2 and Pro Q-3 without the current installer they have which that installer does require Rosetta 2 to be installed.

why are you avoiding rosetta so badly? it's not that bad

I understand why it's there, but I still have my Intel MacMini and it's working great but for this M1, I just want Native apps to run on it.

I'm revisiting all the Objective-C apps I've written to up date as well.

Under the hood, I know a lot has changed so I know I have some work to do to update my code.

Plus I want to use the features of the Silicon chip. The encoder/decoder and Neutral Engine come to mind.

Rather than share screen to work with my Intel MacMini, I just bought a KVM switch with HDMI.

I can still send audio digitally (not analog) using my iConnectMIDI2+ between both MacMini's

With the KVM I don't slow the network.

I'm currently porting my apps as Silicon apps, not going to do the Universal thing. Time to move forward.

Can someone please tell me what keyboards work with the new M1 Macs? I have the Arturia Mini MKII. Would it work? I am getting an M1 Air soon.

This thread is talking about a MacMini M1, not the M1 Air, but if it helps, I have the Arturia MiniLab Black Edition and it works with my MacMini M1.

Thank you!

So I used to use Quicktime 7.6.6 to preview Midi files, but I couldn't figure out how to make that work in the new Quicktime, so I just wrote my own simple Midi Plater for the Apple Silicon.

Currently porting my other music tools to Apple Silicon and yes, there's some changes that are required.

One of them is the drag-and-drop code I had, it doesn't work as is so that had to be updated.

I'll be revisited that EXS24 Relinker program I have as well. That one I'll make it a universal application.

• 1 month later...

So for the plug-ins I've purchased, now U-He has Diva and Ace in beta ARM64.

I'm keeping on eye on U-He for when they finally release Zebra2, Zebra2HZ and Uhbik

Nexus3 from refx is not In beta and that's working great.

I keep checking back for other software that I hope gets converted to ARM64, mainly the Korg stuff I bought.

• 3 months later...