Komplete Kontrol S88 and Logic Pro software instruments

I recently purchased the Komplete Kontrol S88

I would like to know if there is a comprehensive list detailing what function the Touch Strip is assigned to for each software instrument

It seems that it is mostly a volume controller but on some of Logic's stock software instruments, the Touch Strip appears to have no effect at all while the Mod Wheel controls the volume

It is quite confusing

Thank you for any insight you can provide

The Touch Strip is an hardware control element that gives you realtime control over Instrument

parameters. It can send MIDI pitch bend or CC (control change) MIDI messages and can be configured

(in the MIDI Assignment editor) to send different CC types.

The Mod Wheel (emitting CC#1) is the most commonly used one.

Pretty every MIDI controller keyboard nowadays are equipped with such a ModWheel.

CC MIDI messages are wildcards. Meaning that they could be (re-)assigned to control various things in a software instrument plugin/preset. I.e. from a plugin/preset to the next, a given CC will affect an LFO in one while it will affect the Arp speed in the next.

Getting acquainted with your Kontrol S88 could prove useful...

The Touch Strip is an hardware control element that gives you realtime control over Instrument

parameters. It can send MIDI pitch bend or CC (control change) MIDI messages and can be configured

(in the MIDI Assignment editor) to send different CC types.

The Mod Wheel (emitting CC#1) is the most commonly used one.

Pretty every MIDI controller keyboard nowadays are equipped with such a ModWheel.

CC MIDI messages are wildcards. Meaning that they could be (re-)assigned to control various things in a software instrument plugin/preset. I.e. from a plugin/preset to the next, a given CC will affect an LFO in one while it will affect the Arp speed in the next.

Getting acquainted with your Kontrol S88 could prove useful...

Thank you - yes, I understand all of that already

What I am trying to determine is if there is any rhyme or reason for how the Touch Strip is mapped for each of Logic's software instruments as sometimes it seems to control the volume while other times it does nothing

I'd venture that the Touch Strip is likely sending MIDI CC#7 (which in MIDI specs is assigned to volume).

And probably in some other S88's presets, the Touch Strip is configured to send some other CC# (or none at all)

That is likely correct - what is weird is that on the software instruments where the touch strip does nothing, the mod wheel controls volume - unsure why volume would ever be mapped to the mod wheel

I'd venture that the Touch Strip is likely sending MIDI CC#7 (which in MIDI specs is assigned to volume).

And probably in some other S88's presets, the Touch Strip is configured to send some other CC# (or none at all)

That is likely correct - what is weird is that on the software instruments where the touch strip does nothing, the mod wheel controls volume - unsure why volume would ever be mapped to the mod wheel

Sometimes the modwheel is mapped to Expression (CC#11), which in some presets will alter the sound's loudness (volume).

OTOH, I think only the plugin/preset's author can give you the real reason of such configuration...

• 2 weeks later...