Sub-woofer & Logic config advice?

My setup includes 2 passive 6.5” studio monitors and a powered sub-woofer. I’m in the process of upgrading the studio monitors to active Yamaha HS7 or Adam’s TV7. My sub has a crossover and I only recently learned, my ‘mains’ from the audio interface should go to the sub first, then output from the sub to the two studio monitors. My sub has a variable frequ cut off. For example if I set it to 80Hz, the sub will handle all frequ below 80 and send 80Hz to $25kHz to the monitor pairs. Frankly, I don’t use the sub for mixing, just for listening.

Then I got thinking, should I have a separate output from (stereo) the audio interface just to the sub, that way I could pick which channels go to the sub in Logic. What I want is several mixes. 1 - sub + monitors; 2 - monitors only; 3 - selective channels on sub.

How do you setup your sub in Logic?

I think I just sold my old studio monitors tonight, so I’m serious about the Adam’s TV7s or Yamaha HS7s. I was considering the TV8s and HS8s, but the greater frequency response on the low end seems unnecessary when you have a sub. Once I get the new monitors, I’ll try your suggested cabling.

Any suggestions on where to set the sub cross-over frequ cut off? Some saw 100Hz other say 80Hz?

My room is 11 ft x 20 ft, sound proofed, corner bass traps and some acoustic tile. A far bit of exposed drywall on top of mfd, Z channel and room within a room, and the main desk is 1’ from a wall. All that soundproofing now seems dumb.

HS7 or HS8, TVs are imo worse.

crossover where you find it works best in your room.

I have a few presets via my RME Totalmix, two are at 80hz with different levels of sub, and one is at 115Hz, where sub takes over the most of bass duties.

Sound proofing / acoustic treatment is different. if you don't need to soundproof because of neighbouring rooms/offices/people then it's pointless. if you do, it's not.

Treatment is never pointless unless you only work with headphones.

it's not only about frequency response, having your mains tuned lower means they'll have a better time-domain response because time-domain response on ported speakers gets weird as you approach port tuning. It also means the speaker works less, so you get less THD for the same amount of SPL.

Depending on how much space you have and how loud do you wanna go...

I bought Focal Trio11's over Trio6 despite the fact that i have two 3500W 15" subs handling the lows. :)