Best controller for Logic.

There’s dozens of good YouTube videos on the subject. In Nov 2020 I undertook a detailed analysis of all the small/portable midi controller keyboards. I was thinking about travelling with my MacBook Pro and a controller in a backpack. Initially I was impressed with the Akai MPK Mini 25 MK3 and its strong sales, especially to non-musicians. But, the Arturia, Novation, Native Instruments and others are all better for Logic.

This author confirms my affection for Novation’s support for Logic. I like the use of the pads well beyond drums and samples, and ‘Session’ mode versus ‘Device’ mode gives you control down to the VST and plug-in level. Interestingly, this guy loves using Logic Remote on an IPad as a controller, instead of a USB midi controller. It’s a great idea, but unless you already own an iPad, a new one costs $1000 - $1500, whereas a mini-controller is $100 - $150.

Can anybody recommend the best USB midi-controller?

Are there others using Novation MK3 devices with Logic?

This is such a personal topic that it's going to be hard to all agree on which one is "The Best". Some of us like smooth rotary knobs, some like them easy to turn while others prefer some resistance, some like to have plenty of buttons while others favor faders, then again there's the way they are laid out, the wheels and/or joysticks, the quality and type of the keybed, the looks, etc etc.

If you can go to a music store you may quickly realize that the keyboard you had been dreaming of has only tiny narrow keys that you don't find functional, or has the mod wheel located in a place where it's not practical for your playing style. So while it's useful shopping online, at some point I really highly recommend you do spend the time to try them in person.

I personally use a Nektar Panorama, it's alright for what I use it for. In my classroom I have M-Audio Oxygen keyboards which are great, sturdy, good keys, good knobs and soft transport buttons, but they're a bit on the bulky side, which you either like or you don't.

The pandemic restrictions where I live in Toronto have closed music stores to indoor shopping. You can order gear for curb side pickup only. Amazingly, sales are up because people are in lockdown at home. I had the good fortune of borrowing some keyboards from friends. M-audio and Arturia have the best keybed for piano players, for others this isn’t as big a factor. Velocity sensitive, synth keys with aftertouch are fine.

I miss going into a store to try before you buy .

Oh well that's too bad. I suppose then you need to make sure the online store you're purchasing from has a good return policy so that you can change your mind in case there's something you don't like about the keyboard. Arturia makes very good hardware, and M-Audio is in my opinion not quite there at the same level although their keyboards are decent.

If you go the iPad route, you can use Logic Remote like you mentioned. There are also a lot of MIDI apps ranging from step sequencers to piano rolls to other random creative stuff. MIDI Designer Pro 2 and Lemur (though it seems like the Lemur community is dead) are great for creating your own control surfaces if you don’t want to use Logic Remote. You just need to make sure that you make the proper connections in the Logic MIDI environment and then you’re good to go.

I have never used my 25-KC's as a Logic controller, just for playing stuff into Logic, but I have used Logic Remote on my iPad Pro. If I had to use a Novation controller for that, I do like the Impulse for its layout and design, but I think I wanna at least try to see how my Zebra MPK Mini would handle it first.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopped online just now specifically to post a similar inquiry. I'm checking out 49-key models and have almost certainly narrowed down to Arturia Keylab Essential 49 or Novation LaunchKey 49 mkIII.

My particular interest is tightness of integration with Logic. Given Novation's LaunchPad support for Live Loops mode – plus the teasing response I got from a Nov rep last Sunday during their Synthesthesia stream when I asked about similar support coming to the LaunchKey line ("we'd sure like to see that ;-) "), I'm leaning toward Novation LaunchKey. Over the years I've mapped the heck out of my old M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, but some of the buttons stopped working years ago, and if there's something that will do as much or more right out of the box, I'm interested.

In case it's helpful to anyone else, here are a few data points I've collected.

And finally, if desk size is at issue, here are dimensions and prices for several 49-key models (Inches):

Widths Depths Prices 49-key

Novation SL mkiii 32.5 11.81 $600

Nektar Panorama 33.25 13 $500

Arturia Keylab mkII 31.2 11.7 $450

Akai MPK249 29 12.25 $400

Novation Launchkey 31.06 10.16 $220

Arturia keylab essential 30.9 9.7 $209

HTH!

CK

I was in a similar position, owning an m-audio AxiomPro 61 and I was tired of “making it work” especially with Logic 10.6. I also wanted 16 rgb pads for loop based workflow, step sequencer, etc. Arturia keyboards were great quality but device level integration isn’t there with Logic. Aurturia promotes deeper integration with their own software bundle. After some YouTube reviews of the Novation LaunchKey line, I became convinced they offered the best “out-of-the-box” integration with Logic. Furthermore, Novation has a refurbished website with some discounted pricing, and that sealed the deal!

Pros and cons:

- I was willing to give up the semi-weighted keys of my AxiomPro (or new Arturia)

- Novation’s use of the pads for DAW control is excellent

- Novation faders we’re far better than I expected

- Use of Logic smart controls for VSTs was instant

- Arturia and other keybeds seem more robust than Novation

- Novation free software included has been quite useful

- Novation support has been excellent

My composition style has been intentionally shifting to the new loops/samples/beats workflow. I’m still traditional about audio, midi tracks, and plugins, but I rely less upon playing the keyboard like a piano. I’m using it more as a controller so the pads, faders, knobs and Logic integration is my main focus. The less I use a mouse or trackpad, the better.

I also stopped trying to keep the axiom working as a control surface long ago. But it still works as a keyboard with no issues and probably will for some time.

So you don’t have to give up semi weighted keys entirely. One option is to keep it stored away until you feel the need for semi weighted keys. Another is to buy a dedicated control surface without the keys and use both (the axiom and new control surface).

For me, the only thing of which I was certain was: "eighty-eight keys." A full-width piano keyboard.

I once bought a (gently used) 88-key M-AUDIO controller that was full of knobs and switches and dials that, at the time, I thought I needed. I found that I never actually used them at all! Also, the device was extremely heavy. It was, however, well thought-out for what it did, Logic worked very well with it (knobs and all), and I am not now speaking negatively of this original purchase. But, I wasn't as satisfied as I thought I would be – it wasn't right for me after all.

One day, fortuitously (for me), the device "just up and quit." I decided not to have it repaired. Having not paid that much for it originally, I gave it away to a friend who's good at fixing things, and bought a full-on Korg synth. (Also "88-key," of course.) Which weighs less than ten pounds. It turned out to be a far better choice for me, and I am still reading the manuals to learn what it can do. The Korg makes no attempt to be any other type of controller, but it does come with a built-in audio interface, which it advertises for use with karaoke or rap. (Ick ...) Nevertheless, it accepts any standard microphone and works perfectly. One less piece of gear to have to buy.

Of course, Logic instantly recognized the unit for what it was, as soon as I attached the USB cable to the computer. I guess they were old friends at the factory ...

Manufacturers know that "fee-churs" sell gear. But, depending on the price point, they might well add "fee-churs" at the expense of something else, creating the problem of "jack of many trades and master of none." If you buy online, carefully check the vendor's return policy and keep all of the wrapping materials. Then, "play the hell out of it."

Speaking of "weighted keys," one very-clever feature of my original controller (and, who knows, the Korg probably has it as well) was what I'd call "velocity profiles." The physical velocity at which you press the key is mapped non-linearly to the "velocity" that is transmitted in the MIDI stream. There are several different options, including a user-programmable one. And, lo and behold, the very same mechanism now feels like it has several entirely different "touches." It actually works!