X Touch One - trying to change footswitch function, having trouble

I have a Behringer X Touch One and have been trying to change the function of the footswitch from play and stop to punch in/punch out (Record Toggle).

What I've done is go to Controller Assignments, select Control Surface MCU, select User Switch A (there is no Switch B on the XTouch),

select Record Toggle for the command, then perform the learn mode which then says this command exists elsewhere and I select keep both.

Back in Logic when I step on the pedal it goes into record mode but then rapidly goes from record to stop and over and over again. The only way I can stop it is to unplug the footswitch. BTW, when I first tried to use the pedal to play and stop, It did the same thing.

I think I'm close but don't have the knowledge to be able to solve this problem. Any help to push me over this hump would be greatly appreciated!

Is this a sustain pedal? You might need a button switch on the floor.

I had a similar problem with my AxiomPro. The sustain pedal would suddenly change phase. Up was sustain and down was off. It often happened after using the Logic B3 instrument where the sustain pedal controls the speed of the Leslie rotation. The only fix was to unplug the sustain pedal and plus it back in. Later I found there was a feature in the AxiomPro that auto-detects the pedal phase. So, the AxiomPro was sending the wrong midi message after auto-detecting a change that didn’t happen. ‘I tried a better sustain pedal and the issue happened less frequently. I recently sold the AxiomPro for this and other reasons.

You could try a midi monitor to help debug what messages the foot pedal is sending and if it’s consistent.

Yes. Sustain pedal. This is what the mfgs of these controllers all suggest, but I haven’t seen much at all from them of documentation. I tried another but same response. I put MidiMonitor on it today, but it was consistent messages. 0 on, 127 off. Problem is I don’t know what to look for, not that familiar with the midi coding...

To review, I can hit play on my device or keyboard, then press and hold the pedal for punch in, release for punch out.