Refurbished MacBook Pro issue

I'm having an issue with my refurbished Mac, purchased in 2018 -

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Mojave 10.14.6

... Basically, every so often, the left-click on the mouse stops functioning correctly and the right-click menu appears on screen instead.

When this happens, everything else seems to freeze, except the ability to move the cursor.

e.g. I'll be working in Logic, left-click to perform whatever action is needed

and suddenly the right-click menu - corresponding to the area my cursor is covering - appears.

If I switch to the trackpad, instead of the mouse, the same thing happens. At the same time, none of the keypad works and

I end up having to shut down.

Strange thing is, it's so unpredictable. Some days the glitch will appear within five minutes of start-up,

other times I can be working for hours on a project before it emerges ... some days it doesn't happen at all!

I'm concerned that it may be a hardware problem, as I've run first aid in disk utility, and have anti-virus software - both are all clear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Make sure that the battery is not bulging and causing pressure on the trackpad from below. Every time I needed to replace a battery in a MacBook Pro it started with weird symptoms of faulty trackpad actions and/or weird USB related errors like from mice. At 8 years old the battery should be ready for a replacement.