A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

pjwren
Topic Author

Refurbished MacBook Pro issue

Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:04 am

I'm having an issue with my refurbished Mac, purchased in 2018 -

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Mojave 10.14.6

... Basically, every so often, the left-click on the mouse stops functioning correctly and the right-click menu appears on screen instead.
When this happens, everything else seems to freeze, except the ability to move the cursor.
e.g. I'll be working in Logic, left-click to perform whatever action is needed
and suddenly the right-click menu - corresponding to the area my cursor is covering - appears.
If I switch to the trackpad, instead of the mouse, the same thing happens. At the same time, none of the keypad works and
I end up having to shut down.
Strange thing is, it's so unpredictable. Some days the glitch will appear within five minutes of start-up,
other times I can be working for hours on a project before it emerges ... some days it doesn't happen at all!

I'm concerned that it may be a hardware problem, as I've run first aid in disk utility, and have anti-virus software - both are all clear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

facej

Re: Refurbished MacBook Pro issue

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Make sure that the battery is not bulging and causing pressure on the trackpad from below. Every time I needed to replace a battery in a MacBook Pro it started with weird symptoms of faulty trackpad actions and/or weird USB related errors like from mice. At 8 years old the battery should be ready for a replacement.
Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Logic Pro 10.6.3
OS X 10.15.7, macOS 11.5
iMac19,1 27" - 3.6 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 - 40GB memory - MacBook Air - 3.2 GHz M1 - 16GB memory - 1TB SSD
Behringer XR18 - Behringer X-Touch - iPad Pro 10.5" iOS 14.5
Logic Pro Command of the Day

pjwren
Topic Author

Re: Refurbished MacBook Pro issue

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks for the response facej.
I took the back off to have a look - but found I couldn't remove the battery, as I don't currently have the required Y screwdriver!
... will send off for one, and take it from there.
Thanks again.