Kontakt volume issue in Logic

(If this is the wrong forum on LPH, kindly move to the proper one - thank you)

I am trying to determine why, with the same velocity and same output volume, the Logic Bosendorfer Piano is louder than the Kontakt Noire Basic Pure

I have removed all plugins and sends that load with the Bosendorfer to account for any EQ and Compression that would make it artificially louder

Here is the comparison (the first 2 bars are the Bosendorfer and the second 2 bars the Noire Basic Pure):

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

This volume discrepancy is across the board in all of my Kontakt libraries, but I used Noire as a comparison herein

Any advice would be most appreciated

Thank you.

Could be a number of causes. Simple: the samples not being Normalized, or the volumes of the layers being more dynamic, or some settings and/or effects inside the Kontakt instrument itself.

If you say the discrepancy is across the board in all your Kontakt libraries, does that mean that the Noire represents "normal" and that the Bösendorfer is too loud, or is the Noire too soft?

Could be a number of causes. Simple: the samples not being Normalized, or the volumes of the layers being more dynamic, or some settings and/or effects inside the Kontakt instrument itself.

If you say the discrepancy is across the board in all your Kontakt libraries, does that mean that the Noire represents "normal" and that the Bösendorfer is too loud, or is the Noire too soft?

You just blew my mind

You just blew my mind

:lol:

Completely? Or can you answer that last question, still?

But you say "across the board". So is the first to loud or the second too soft? Anyway, inside Kontakt there are a lot of parameters that could cause this, and generally it is so that no two sampled instruments react equally to the same performance, so it is not a good idea, generally, to change a piano after you've recorded a MIDI performance. The dynamics will change.

BTW, the simplest parameter is Kontakts own Volume slider. Have you tried setting that higher?

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-30 om 09.31.59.png

Also, you can set a default loading volume. Could that be set to -6 dB?

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-30 om 09.32.25.png

Yes I have set the default to 0.00

I know I can adjust the volume slider - I guess that is what I will have to do