Channel Strip emulation

I just read a book on using Templates in Logic Pro, and the use of a Channel strip Emulator was recommended. I see that there are a number of plugins you can purchase, but I was hoping to use only built-in in Logic plugins, at least to start. Does saving a "channel strip setting" file to re-use in templates essentially the same thing, at least functionally?

• 2 months later...
I just read a book on using Templates in Logic Pro, and the use of a Channel strip Emulator was recommended. I see that there are a number of plugins you can purchase, but I was hoping to use only built-in in Logic plugins, at least to start. Does saving a "channel strip setting" file to re-use in templates essentially the same thing, at least functionally?

Not really, well not the emulation part. You can get a lot of milage out of Logic's plugins though, so stitching together the Channel EQ, Compressor, Expander can be quite a useful, powerful toolset, but it doesn't really do much in the way of emulating the sound of a particular mixing console. It won't sound anything like one of the channel strips from Brainworx or Waves for example, although, its not entirely necessary that it should either.

If you are really interested in the emulation side of things have a look at those two companies as they always seem to have sales on. You might be able to pick up something for under $50 if thats the way you decide to go.

I think that the combination of the Vintage EQ models (Tube, Console, Graphic) and proper selection of Compressor settings (there are models that are quite close to "vintage" classics) you can achieve a nicely "colored" sound on a channel. No need to add more plug-ins for $...

I think that the combination of the Vintage EQ models (Tube, Console, Graphic) and proper selection of Compressor settings (there are models that are quite close to "vintage" classics) you can achieve a nicely "colored" sound on a channel. No need to add more plug-ins for $...

Yeah that will get you part of the way there and is certainly better than nothing. It's a good place to start really, it just doesn't really constitute a channel strip "emulation" as such. I'm a little concerned at their CPU usage too, its higher than most of the things I have personally.

Well, I do like me some 'Scheps OmniChannel' or 'CLA MixHub' - talk about CPU...The T-Racks channel emulations are OK too.

My 'go to' these days are iZotope Neutron (everything) and Nectar (voices and 'lead' instruments)

The Omni is one of favs too, I like its modern approach and unique sound. The Mixhub's use of Buckets is quite a powerful workflow too. T-Racks I like although I can't seem to use their processors in parallel, it seems they don't report their latency correctly. I also like the Brainworx Focusrite emulation, its kind of a breath of fresh air to a sea of Neve, SSL and API emulations.

You can do a lot in Logic without a channel strip emulation, depending on the genre of music. I recently went the UAD direction by buying a UA Apollo Twin X audio interface with UA plugins that emulate Neve, API and other channel strips. In my analysis these were the truest emulations as they leverage the circuitry of Unision pre-amps and the CPU and DSP in the audio interface. This is the reason most pro studios have UAD gear. Still, a lot of my tracks use Logic instruments and plugins, but for vocals and acoustic tracks, nothing else comes close to the UA Apollo and plugins.