Recommendation for MIDI Controller

Hi all,

I’m looking to really buckle down and get more serious about learning how to produce on logic. I need to buy a midi controller. I’m probably going to start going through the Apple certified logic book. Can’t spend too much money right now, maybe 100-$200. Would like something with a decent feel. Is there a midi controller that most people use for logic? Thanks! Then for audio interface, I’m thinking the basic focusrite Scarlett.

Go to a local music store and hunt around for their "gently used" equipment. Someone decided they didn't want it anymore and traded it in, but the store should still guarantee that it works. I once bought an 88-key controller for less than $100 and used it for years. ("88 keys" is important for me.)

I think that it's very important for you to play the controller that you are thinking about buying. Some controllers are very simple, while others are "bustin' with gadgets and knobs." Having at one time owned both, I now prefer simplicity. But, the only way to really know is to put the keys under your fingertips. After all, "you're going to be married to this thing!"

These days, you probably should look for a controller that has a USB connection to the computer, and which sends the MIDI information along that.

If you’re a keyboard player, the feel of the keybed might be important to you - so try before you buy, if you can, or rent something for a week. If you’re not a keyboard player, the pads, faders, knobs and Logic integration will take priority. I bought a refurbished Novation Launchkey 49 MK3, w/3 year warranty, and I’m thrilled with it. Stay away from MK2 and earlier model, regardless on the vendor, because they don’t integrate well with the latest version on Logic.

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/categories/novation/launchkey-%5Bmk3%5D

I agree with both previous posts try out the controller with Logic beforehand if you can, the best thing is also to figure out what you would like to control in Logic so you can find the controller which will work for you. If you do buy off the Novation store we do offer a 30 day return period if the device is not for you.