Waiting for M1X (laptop -or - standalone)

I often brag about my 2014 MacBook Pro 15 for Logic 10.6, and contrary to many that have a standalone, MacMini or iMac, I love the portability and taking my “studio” with me. But, my wife has a new 13” M1 MacBook Pro and the performance is incredible. I’m anxious to see the new MacBook Pro 16 whenever it comes out, but a little concerned about the price. Based on YouTube sources, additional ports, MagSafe, the MX1 chip and greater ram will be featured. My wish list would be:

- 16.1” mini LED display

- MX1 chip

- 32 gb ram

- 2 TB SSD

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/14-inch-macbook-pro/

Here’s my question. Typically laptop computers are slightly more expensive than standalone, but it might be the only option for the latest tech. Are Logic users in the studio considering a MacBook Pro instead on an iMac or Mac Mini?

I bought an M1 MacBook Pro (16gb/512) instead of 13" i5 i had, and it replaced both my laptop and my Mini.

waiting for a beefier desktop to replace my studio mini, but am using the macbook in place.

i rather not have as expensive laptop it causes me anxiety when carrying it around, and i dont need as much power on the go as i do in the studio, as i was doing fine with the 13" i5. (although M1 provides absolutely plenty power)

2TB will likely be very expensive.

I use an external Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD which is nearly as fast as internal so i can get away without paying Apple the price of another computer for 1,5 additional TB.

the 16" pro, with 32gig ram and a 2TB drive... will be expensive (at least, comparable to a 15" maxed out now). but honestly, 16gb should do it, considering the new architecture; and you could go for a 1TB drive... and just store archived projects on an external.

still... we won't really know until we get there. am waiting, too.

Why not buy an M1 Macbook now?

You still can sell it later for a good price when you want to upgrade

I want the new 16.1” of screen real estate and the extra ports. My 2014 MacBook Pro 15” is actually working very well and would likely last another year.... but there’s something exciting about a new computer that’s inspiring.